Vent under Fridge

DRGalligher

We have a 2011 3055RL Bighorn. Camping this last weekend with morning temps at 30, we noticed cool air (not a breeze though) coming in through the vent under the refirigerator. We put a blanket there and the inside warmed up nicely (we use a Heater Buddy). We believe this is the fresh air intake for the heater, and are thinking of making an insulated blanket to attach to the front of it when the furnace isn't running. When the furnace is running, we would remove the cover. Has anyone done this and do you see any problems with this?

We boondock often and try not to use the furnace based on the draw on the batteries. If we know it's going to get cold longer throughout the night and not just in the morning, we set the furnace to 45 to keep the basement and pipes heated, then turn it off when we wake up and use the Heater Buddy.

Thanks.

sengli

When we had a RV with the three way fridge, all the venting was on the back side of the unit, and there were vents thru the side wall of the coach for that. Not sure what your are asking about. Again our fridge had insulation stuffed all the way around it, to seal it off from the outside air. Photo?

Gary521

I had a 3055. I sealed of the return vent for the same reason. There is sufficient supply of air in the basement and underbelly to run the furnace in my opinion. I never had an issue, but I did not run the furnace a lot.

DRGalligher

When we had a RV with the three way fridge, all the venting was on the back side of the unit, and there were vents thru the side wall of the coach for that. Not sure what your are asking about. Again our fridge had insulation stuffed all the way around it, to seal it off from the outside air. Photo?

The vent I'm talking about is inside, on the pedestal below the fridge. In the 2011 3055RL model, the fridge is at an angle to the left of the steps to the bedroom. Below the fridge is this huge vent. Our fridge too has a vent on the outside, so it's not the fridge vent I'm asking about, but what we think is the fresh air intake for the furnace. We took the vent off (it's screwed on) and vacuumed in this area. We recently went boondocking and suspect that a field mouse got in that area. Sure enough when we took the cover off, we saw mouse droppings, so we cleaned it out, but aside from that, there was a breeze coming up through it. All the vent tubing is in here.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a 3055. I sealed of the return vent for the same reason. There is sufficient supply of air in the basement and underbelly to run the furnace in my opinion. I never had an issue, but I did not run the furnace a lot.

Thanks. I'll make my insulated cover. I've actually got heat/cold insulating sheeting used for potholders and vests, along with quilt batting to make a nice insulated cover. We're going to attach it with heavy duty Velcro.