2011 Bighorn 3055RL New Roof - Choices?

DRGalligher

Our 2011 FW was purchased new in 2010. The rubber roof is now 8 years old and we know we will have to replace the roof in a year or two. We're looking into a PVC roof and am looking for feedback on this. We've researched the two different applied roof coatings - RV Armor and Flex Armor and both have lifetime warranties. A new rubber roof only has another 10 year prorated warranty, but the PVC warranty is longer.

What have others done here for replacing their roof?

Thanks!

rhodies1

My understanding is rv roofs have a 12 year warranty,have you contacted the manufacturer to discuss the problem with the roof.A phone call is cheap and maybe you will get some support.

jbeletti

My understanding is rv roofs have a 12 year warranty,have you contacted the manufacturer to discuss the problem with the roof.A phone call is cheap and maybe you will get some support.
The material-only has that warranty. Labor is not included. Labor is where the large cost is in replacing an RV roof.

jbeletti

Our 2011 FW was purchased new in 2010. The rubber roof is now 8 years old and we know we will have to replace the roof in a year or two. We're looking into a PVC roof and am looking for feedback on this. We've researched the two different applied roof coatings - RV Armor and Flex Armor and both have lifetime warranties. A new rubber roof only has another 10 year prorated warranty, but the PVC warranty is longer.

What have others done here for replacing their roof?

Thanks!

I've heard really good reports from those who've used Flex Armor.

DRGalligher

Good point. We currently don't have a problem, but our RV tech says that it will need replacing in a couple of years and for the rubber sheeting, it's about $7k parts and labor. I hate the maintenace on it - up twice a year to clean it. My understanding is that the PVC and the applied coatings you don't have to do the maintenance. Our RV tech says that the PVC roofing is a little less expensive. Yes, we know that the labor cost is the largest cost.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard really good reports from those who've used Flex Armor.

We have too, but you have to do to them and for our length, it weighs 180 lbs. RV Armour comes to you with licensed techs, it's thinner with the same warranty, but lighter by 100 lbs. There's good feedback from those that have done it. The weight and lack of a local dealer on the Flex Armour is the negative for us.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Where is it written that the roof needs to be replaced when the warranty runs out? If that's the case, most owners that keep their rigs will need to replace the roof before the payments end. Short of physical damage from falling limbs, etc., what is telling you to replace it?

DRGalligher

Where is it written that the roof needs to be replaced when the warranty runs out? If that's the case, most owners that keep their rigs will need to replace the roof before the payments end. Short of physical damage from falling limbs, etc., what is telling you to replace it?

Our RV tech said the roof is thinning in spots so it will need to be replaced in a couple of years. I get up frequently to inspect it and clean it and it looks good to me, but I'm not an RV roof expert either.

JohnDar

Our RV tech said the roof is thinning in spots so it will need to be replaced in a couple of years. I get up frequently to inspect it and clean it and it looks good to me, but I'm not an RV roof expert either.

I tried to search EPDM roofs for thinning and the need or frequency to replace and came up empty. I'm curious about this because my rig sits exposed to the elements year round and is now over 10 years old. I get up on it several times each summer to clean it, do maintenance, or just eyeball it, and don't think I've seen any evidence of it getting thin anywhere. Putting $7K or more into replacing a roof that isn't ripped or leaking sounds a bit much.

DRGalligher

I tried to search EPDM roofs for thinning and the need or frequency to replace and came up empty. I'm curious about this because my rig sits exposed to the elements year round and is now over 10 years old. I get up on it several times each summer to clean it, do maintenance, or just eyeball it, and don't think I've seen any evidence of it getting thin anywhere. Putting $7K or more into replacing a roof that isn't ripped or leaking sounds a bit much.

Agree, but one would think that being proactive is better than reactive. Shouldn't one want to replace it when it shows wear and needing it before it leaks and causes other damage? Water damage is the number one fear of any RV'er. On another note, the front under hang area of our FW (where the hitch and front compartment is) was delaminated. Ugh! We thought there was water damage. Our RV tech, took it off and replaced it with diamondplate. There was no water damage. The laminate became unglued. He showed us that it's just attached to thin cardboard. Before he put the diamond plate on, he insulated the front with insulated sheathing. Just a note that our rig sits uncovered to the elements, but we're thinking of using one of those partial RV covers over the next two years to extend the life of our roof.

JohnDar

I still question the phenomenon of the roof material “thinning” in spots. There is no reference of it in my searches, so what does one look for to identify it? Got photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRGalligher

I still question the phenomenon of the roof material “thinning” in spots. There is no reference of it in my searches, so what does one look for to identify it? Got photos?

The gray underlayer begins to show through. I have photos, I just have to figure out how to post them here. Our RV tech is very knowledgeable and well known in our area as experienced. I'm not concerned about being "taken". He said we can defiinitely extend the time having to replace it by covering it this winter and as much as we can. I'll try to post photos.

- - - Updated - - -

20180825_120453.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

this photo came through sideways when it is not the original mode. Anyway, you can see the graying shapes all over, that is the thinning and the bottom layer showing through.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Are you talking about the area around the ladder mounts? Your’s is the first time I’ve heard of the roof membrane thinning out and exposing the bottom layer, as you describe.

Always something...

DRGalligher

Are you talking about the area around the ladder mounts? Your’s is the first time I’ve heard of the roof membrane thinning out and exposing the bottom layer, as you describe.

Always something...

No, that's the self leveling sealant, just discolored over time. If you look closely, you can see a gray marbling look.

JohnDar

There is a recent post about a roof problem that refers to a quality problem with some rubber roof material from Dicor. Not enough UV stabilizers. Look it up and maybe call Dicor about your situation. Might be worth a try.

DRGalligher

There is a recent post about a roof problem that refers to a quality problem with some rubber roof material from Dicor. Not enough UV stabilizers. Look it up and maybe call Dicor about your situation. Might be worth a try.

I'll do that! Thanks for letting me know. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get to this so I'll be sure to follow-up here with what I've found out.