Humming propane regulator

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
When using our propane appliances the door side propane tank or regulator hums/whistles as propane is drawn from the tank. Annoying!!! Off door side is quiet as it should be. Auto changeover works as designed. It’s quiet. Issue is on the door side only.
Has anyone else experienced same?? Your solution??
Searching the internet hasn’t proved fruitful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

Sometimes the diaphragm in the regulator will vibrate if the gas is flowing fast. You can try closing that tank valve down, restricting the flow to see if that helps. Other causes are weather, humidity, barometric pressure, and outdoor air temperature. The later causes you won't be able to do much about though.

Here's a youtube video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3VjDD3dFs

wdk450

I would try switching the 2 tanks to see if the problem is tank related. If this proved true, I would wonder if there is a problem with the propane gas itself in that tank. We have previously learned in this forum that the propane gas mixtures are different from suppliers in the lowlands, or suppliers in the high mountains.

pegmikef

I had the same thing in my Big Horn. It didn't hum all the time, just every once in a while. I usually just turned it off and used the other tank. A day or two later I would switch them back. No humming. I never did figure out what caused it and couldn't really associate a particular condition with it as it was so infrequent.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well not sure what’s going on here but no more humming
Didn’t replace anything, didn’t swap tanks, didn’t empty and refill.
Used the off door side tank in New England. We were back in northern PA when the off door side tank kicked and usage switched to the door side tank that had been humming.
Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

Ours did the same this morning and I feel it's nothing to be concerned about.... probably the inside of regulator fluttering because of high draw, low pressure, and low temperature.

Tank is VERY close to being empty, turned on both furnace and cooktop for coffee, and temp outside was 25°. Made that noise for a bit, then quit.