Anode Rod

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Last time I removed my anode rod it was pitted and I changed it. Today I am starting to winterize my unit and when I removed the anode rod it was in good shape hardly any pits but the rod was covered with a grey substance that looked like Petroleum Jelly. Anyone have any idea what the substance is?
The rod is in good shape so I will put it back in, but I am curious about the grey Vaseline like substance.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks and have a great day!
Wayne

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't know what might have caused the stuff on the anode rod but I've heard comments regarding the use of Teflon tape when installing the rod. Don't use too much Teflon tape. Make sure you use only enough to seal the threads and not so much it prevents contact. Too much tape prevents the anode rod from doing it's job.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Thanks Ray. I did use teflon tape. Do you know the name and where to buy the stuff that plumbers use instead of teflon tape that helps prevent the metals from bonding. When I flushed the tank I got a lot of chunks of light tan color out of the tank.
Regards
Wayne
PS Got the hinges. Thanks!

Shadowchek

There are 2 products that I use that work well. Rectorseal and Oateys Great white pipe joint compound. You can get them at home depot or any hardware store. They are non toxic and non hardening so they seal but don't make it impossible to remove later.

Greg

Last edited: