2017 Torque T32 and Onan 5500 installation / wiring

mtwynn

Hello,

I have just purchased a 2017 Torque T32 that is generator prepped. I bout an Onan 5500 and installed it yesterday. I am having issues on connecting the AC power in the generator power box. The Onan has five wires (Black, Black with Yellow Stripe, Two Whites, and a Green Ground). The junction box for the generator has a Red, Black, White, and copper grounds. I am not sure what attaches to what. Also I am 99% sure that the trailer has a transfer switch. I cannot find it anywhere visible but I have an owners manual for it in my packet. Does anyone know where its located on this hauler, and also if I will need to do anything to it as I hook up the generator to insure it properly works. I have read that they come with a factory setting so I do not know if I need to do anything to it. ANY help is appreciated as I am trying to get ready for my first trip and will need the generator where I am going. Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
MTWynn

danemayer

I've attached a wiring diagram from the Onan installation manual.

The wires in the box near the generator should be already connected to the transfer switch, which is usually located behind the rear wall of the pass-through basement storage.

Attachments

• Onan Generator Install Wiring.pdf
    48.2 KB · Views: 52

mtwynn

I've attached a wiring diagram from the Onan installation manual.

The wires in the box near the generator should be already connected to the transfer switch, which is usually located behind the rear wall of the pass-through basement storage.

Thank you. I found this diagram and it shows what the AC wires and colors are but it doesn’t say what wires they hook to. The red, black, and white wires in the junction box. I am also not sure what you mean by pass through basement storage. I’m sorry for my ignorance.

danemayer

I'm not familiar with the layout of a Torque T32, but most of our trailers have a large storage compartment up front, below the bedroom or living quarters. It typically has cargo doors on each side of the trailer. It's referred to as basement storage, or pass-through basement storage (because you can pass things through from one side to the other).

If you're not sure about which wire does what when working with high-current devices, rather than cause damage to yourself or the trailer if you get something wrong, I'd suggest getting a licensed electrician or certified RV technician to help.

Something else to consider, if you don't have the airflow and exhaust set up correctly, you could have problems running the generator, and the exhaust could end up in the living area.

Proceed with caution.

mtwynn

I'm not familiar with the layout of a Torque T32, but most of our trailers have a large storage compartment up front, below the bedroom or living quarters. It typically has cargo doors on each side of the trailer. It's referred to as basement storage, or pass-through basement storage (because you can pass things through from one side to the other).

If you're not sure about which wire does what when working with high-current devices, rather than cause damage to yourself or the trailer if you get something wrong, I'd suggest getting a licensed electrician or certified RV technician to help.

Something else to consider, if you don't have the airflow and exhaust set up correctly, you could have problems running the generator, and the exhaust could end up in the living area.

Proceed with caution.

Yes, I have installed to Onan specs on placement, cut outs, proper exhaust routing, clearances, etc. just looking for advice on AC wiring and what goes where. I do have basement storage as that is where the junction box I refer to is and it is marked for generator install. If the transfer switch is behind one of those walls I cannot see where it would be, or how to access it.

danemayer

Yes, I have installed to Onan specs on placement, cut outs, proper exhaust routing, clearances, etc. just looking for advice on AC wiring and what goes where. I do have basement storage as that is where the junction box I refer to is and it is marked for generator install. If the transfer switch is behind one of those walls I cannot see where it would be, or how to access it.

Can you post a picture of your trailer, on the doorside, standing back about 15 feet.

mtwynn

Attached is a pic of the entry door side, the basement storage bay with the junction box in the back, and the generator bay on the opposite side of the trailer to the basement storage. t32 1.jpgt32 2.jpgt32 3.jpgt32 4.jpgt32 5.jpg

danemayer

Maybe another Torque T32 owner can shed light on the location of the transfer switch. If not, you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

mtwynn

****Update*****

Through a leap of faith I went ahead and hooked up the AC power to the junction box in the way I felt was correct. The black leads are both positive and go to each of the breakers on the genset itself. The white wires are the neutrals for each of the breakers. The ground is obviously the ground for all. Here is exactly how I tied them together.

Black wire from genset to Black wire in junction box
Black wire with yellow stripe to Red wire in junction box
Both White Wires together to White wire in junction box
Green wire to ground copper wire in junction box

Works perfectly. All outlets, Both Air Conditioners, microwave, fridge, TVs, stereo, etc.

I appreciate the responses. I hope this post can help someone in the same predicament in the future. Now off to camp!

Thanks,
MTWynn