Rodent Entry Points

Don Bird

We purchased a 2009 Heartland Big Country 3300RL in May. We have problems with mice getting into the living area and the storage areas. We have plugged every hole we can find. What informaion can you give us as to where they might be entering. We have a 1994 Dutchmen and have never had a rodent problem. We had an older Spartan Travel Trailer and mice got in and ruined the electrical wiring which all had to be replaced. We did not expect this with our Heartland. Please Help!

Garry & Bev

travel bug
Could they be going up the hose in the docking station? We suspect that is where our mouse came from. Now we keep a mouse trap in the basement just in case. If you put a plastic disc around the hose, this will prevent them from getting into the docking station then into the basement.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A piece of styrofoam cut out the size of the hose hole in the docking station will plug the hole. Cut a slit in the round styrofoam and a hole in the center of it just large enough for the hose. Put the styrofoam in the hole. This plugs the hole and keeps out vermin, bugs and cold air.

SmokeyBare

Front Legs is one more place where they can get into the belly area. From there, there are many plumbing and wiring holes they can get into the Basement.

Mice are so very small... they can get through a hole less than the size of a quarter.

Good Luck !

Marv

We stuffed steel wool in the front legs, but they seem to be pushing it out.:eek:

Will definitely try the styrofoam in the docking station, and place additional mousetrap(s) in the basement - already caught 2 or 3 in the cabin.

Thanks.:)

beardedone

Beardedone
We had one trailer wrecked by squirrels so now we are very careful. The trouble is that the rodents are so persistant. We found that steel wool doesn't work (it makes too nice of a nest). On my post-wrecked trailer we had the underside sprayed with 2" of form insulation. That stopped everything and insulated the floor. The downside is that if you want to do any repairs from that side you have to scrape off the insulation. So on our new Landmark I got my coveralls on and used a can of spray foam on any hole I could find no matter how small. I also used that heavy black tape on some areas. The corrosplast that the undercarriage is enclosed with is a great access point. They spaced the fasteners too far apart and there are some slight gaps and bulges. Tape on foam them up. Also helps to keep moisture out. You always have to check where ever an entry point is made for hoses, wires or other things because there will be access afforded to four legged demons.

Westwind

Fifthwheel Feet

Friend of mine with a fifthwheel puts his legs into large metal cans like a coffee can, I don't know what else he
does but he feels it keeps the mice from getting into the compartment.
While staying at Ft. Wilderness he had a neighbor that saw one going up and down the leg. I would think that
water in the bottom would help but then the leg would rust. Or maybe a plastic bucket would work better. Don't
know if a mouse could get a grip on that.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, are those rockets or cannons on the OL' PUSS. I like the hat. Ours doesn't seem to need them she came equiped with them. Never seen a cat that can jump as high ours can. A pix of our trap was posted earlier on this thread. Still makes good mouse traps. Bob:D