Easy Fix for Dometic Ball Valve Toilet Not Holding Water

wdk450

Gang:
I have done the odious job of replacing the rubber seal (and sometimes plastic ball valve) on my Dometic toilet over the years. The last time this happened I made sure to buy a new improved seal system off of E-Bay. I make sure to clean up on top of the ball valve and inside with a toilet brush after every #2 flush. But still, I get the leaking seal again after about 3 months or so. I finally came up with the idea of using plumbers silicon grease to re-seal the rubber seal to ball valve surfaces, and it seems to work pretty good.

Plumbers (clear) silicone grease is available at most every hardware store for around $5. The grease is "water resistant". The usual 1/2 fl. Oz. cup will do the toilet about 4 times. What you need to do is clean the toilet ball valve and seal with the toilet brush, turn off the water to the toilet, and flush it once more to get rid of any remaining water on the valve. Then put on a disposable glove, maybe use a paper towel to get off any final water and/or "residue" on the top of the ball valve. Then use your index finger to scoop some of the grease out of the container, work it into the ball valve top surface, then step on the flush pedal and work some more grease UNDER the lip of the rubber seal ALL the way around. Ditch the glove, turn on the water, and you should have a well sealed ball valve and seal again.

Last edited:

Bones

Gang:
I have done the odious job of replacing the rubber seal (and sometimes plastic ball valve) on my Dometic toilet over the years. The last time this happened I made sure to buy a new improved seal system off of E-Bay. I make sure to clean up on top of the ball valve and inside with a toilet brush after every #2 flush. But still, I get the leaking seal again after about 3 months or so. I finally came up with the idea of using plumbers silicon grease to re-seal the rubber seal to ball valve surfaces, and it seems to work pretty good.

Plumbers (clear) silicon grease is available at most every hardware store for around $5. The grease is "water resistant". The usual 1/2 fl. Oz. cup will do the toilet about 4 times. What you need to do is clean the toilet ball valve and seal with the toilet brush, turn off the water to the toilet, and flush it once more to get rid of any remaining water on the valve. Then put on a disposable glove, maybe use a paper towel to get off any final water and/or "residue" on the top of the ball valve. Then use your index finger to scoop some of the grease out of the container, work it into the ball valve top surface, then step on the flush pedal and work some more grease UNDER the lip of the rubber seal ALL the way around. Ditch the glove, turn on the water, and you should have a well sealed ball valve and seal again.

Good info to know