Commode Leak

gslabbert5119

I have just found a new leak in my 2013 Heartland 3685RL, this time it is around the base of the commode. It is not continuous, and it is a little water, which is seeping from under the commode base, and even a little water in a RV is a bad thing.

The water is clean water, and the leak appears to be intermittent.

I have checked the water pressure coming in and I have a pressure valve set to 50psi so I would be surprised if it is over pressurization of the water system and before I take the commode off and strip it down, does anyone have any suggestions.

Commode is a Dometic ...

TIA

Gavin

SLO

Feel around the rear of the toilet on all water lines for any water. If nothing, flush the toilet and feel again. If nothing, then flush toilet and look at base of toilet. Laying flashlight flat on floor, pointed at toilet helps with this last test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garypowell

My assumption would be a leak in the line downstream of the foot valve. Your gonna have to take it outside and hook it up to a water supply and see if you can duplicate the problem.....unless something is obvious when you flip it over.

gslabbert5119

Thanks, this is my fear... Pipes are all dry over and behind the commode.

It has to be above the floor in the commode somewhere.

Is there a seal that typically needs to be replaced that could cause this. I thought that other than the clean water pipe that goes into the commode there is no other clean water entry point.

Ok so if I take the commode out, is there anything that I need to be aware of, and can I or should I insert a water shutoff in the line above the floor similar to those that you find in houses ?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If it were me I'd add the shut off once you decided to pull things apart. When I swapped out our commode I added a shutoff. Kinda nice.
Good luck,
Mark

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the joint between the upper and lower sections of the toilet. The seals may need replacing or the clamp needs tightening. I found years ago, when I replaced the seals, that the screw for the clamp needs to be at the back of the toilet and squarely set. The water may be seeping from the bowl. Mine is a Dometic 210.

And I added a shutoff valve, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Look at a press-on ball valve like this. No fittings or special tools required. They're generally available at big box HW stores for $15-20.

Just be careful when you cut the pex tubing to not drop the tube coming up from the basement.

gslabbert5119

Thanks guys, I got a sharkbite press on valve, similar to the one that was recommended.

Gonna take the ******* out today and look for the leak ...lol

Gavin

hoefler

If you have a sprayer, check the connection to the valve, they are prone to coming loose and dripping there when you flush the stool.