Bedroom A.C. Prep

Just received the latest literature on the Bighorn ( Dated 1/06) and I don't see it mentioned anywhere if the bedroom is A.C. Prep'd.

In case we buy one instead of special order I'm wondering if we can add a A.C. unit later??

MHappy trails,
Bill B. (Michigan)

tinkers

Full timers
Bedroom A/C

Yes, Bill, you can. We had to add one. Our a/c just wasn't working worth a dang when we bought our Big Horn last spring, and the factory said the only answer was to put in 2nd a/c. Well, that wasn't the answer, cutting more vents in the living area and finding crushed duct and air leaks in the slides proved to make all the difference. The bedroom unit is not ducted, but dumps directly. I suggest that you get closing vents for the bedroom and the potty, and have all the main unit working only in main living area. They just took out the bedroom vent and put the a/c unit there.

We also discovered that to cool down the rig faster when it's 95 inside, when we stop, we turn on the air with the slides still in for about 30 min before putting more square footage for it to cool down. We got very creative when we couldn't get the thing to cool down below 85. We hope we have all the a/c problems solved now, but really won't know until we get into some 90 degree weather.

Scott

Bedroom A/Cs

Yes, the bedroom is always pre-wired and braced for a second A/C on the Bighorn. Adding one down the road will not be a problem.

ST

timk

Scott said:
Yes, the bedroom is always pre-wired and braced for a second A/C on the Bighorn. Adding one down the road will not be a problem.

ST

Scott,
Is it the factorys intention to put the second ac where the fantastic fan is located in the bedroom? Also in our early 06 3400rl it is wired in the panel, but can you tell me where the romex terminates?
Thanks for your time.
TimK

K

Ken Washington

For what it's worth, we just had our second a/c installed in the bedroom. I blocked off the vents going to the bedroom and toilet area. The vents on the left facing forward in the main living area increaced the flow three times it's volume. The vents on the right increased it's volume twice. I was supprised at the differance and looking forward to testing it out this summer. I hope this helps someone with this problem.

Scott

Bedroom A/C Location

Yes, we take out the fantastic fan and replace it with the A/C. The wiring is right there behind the wooden bracing that goes around the opening.

ST