Towing weight and distribution

SCPOSWRET

Is there a remote possibility that a simple-to-understand answer could be given to the question; what is the best way to determine what percentage of your camping gear should be carried in the bed of the tow vehicle vrs what percentage of your camping gear should be carried in the travel trailer? I realize this is a broad general question so i'll be very happy with a broad general answer. Much appreciate any help because I've read too many articles that say, 'when in doubt, put it in your tow vehicle and when you get to your campground, you can take it out' and too many articles that say 'be sure to load whatever you carry in your travel trailer above or near the axles for proper towing and to assist in weight distribution' Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

Three areas come to my attention. What is the maximum payload rating for the trailer. Maximum payload rating for the tow vehicle, total weight of everything you’re going to pack. Starting with the truck, your payload includes passengers and any gear you normally carry in the tow vehicle, plus the tongue weight of the trailer. You also need to add the weight of any fresh water in the trailer tank. If your gear total weight is less than the payload rating of the trailer, pack it in the trailer being mindful that you should distribute the weight evenly as possible side to side and also so you don’t exceed the maximum tongue weight rating of the tow vehicle hitch. If you are too heavy with gear in the trailer, then you may need to pack it in the tow vehicle, but again, not to exceed the payload rating. If your gear puts you over in both, then you need to decide what to leave at home.

SCPOSWRET

Three areas come to my attention. What is the maximum payload rating for the trailer. Maximum payload rating for the tow vehicle, total weight of everything you’re going to pack. Starting with the truck, your payload includes passengers and any gear you normally carry in the tow vehicle, plus the tongue weight of the trailer. You also need to add the weight of any fresh water in the trailer tank. If your gear total weight is less than the payload rating of the trailer, pack it in the trailer being mindful that you should distribute the weight evenly as possible side to side and also so you don’t exceed the maximum tongue weight rating of the tow vehicle hitch. If you are too heavy with gear in the trailer, then you may need to pack it in the tow vehicle, but again, not to exceed the payload rating. If your gear puts you over in both, then you need to decide what to leave at home.

Thank you for the fairly easy to understand explaination. My Pioneer RL250 max cargo weight is 1644lbs minus water of 440lbs to net 1204lbs payload which is far more than us two adults carry; no pets, carrying a very conservative amount of gear, clothes, etc so I think we are in good shape. I've not so far traveled with any fresh water nor any black or grey water onboard as I don't see any need to do so, so far. My TV is loaded with far less weight than its max payload of 2140lbs and is properly equiped with 10K WDH and integrated sway bars, 395HP, 400FP tq, etc so it sounds like we are in good shape.

Thanks again!

Fox

My biased tip: pack some water onboard (maybe 5 gal).
A mother nature induced emergency may crop up while you're traveling.

SCPOSWRET

My biased tip: pack some water onboard (maybe 5 gal).
A mother nature induced emergency may crop up while you're traveling.

Good idea. I have a 5 gal potable water jug, I'll use that so I can choose when to carry it in the truck
and when / if needed, to put it in the FW tank. Thanks for the input.

Lou_and_Bette

Good idea. I have a 5 gal potable water jug, I'll use that so I can choose when to carry it in the truck
and when / if needed, to put it in the FW tank. Thanks for the input.

Not 100% sure but, I think Fox was referring to carrying the 5 gallons of water for “potty emergencies.” We have 2 one gallon water containers (easier for the DW to handle rather than a large container) that we keep available to use to flush toilet if the need arises. Since we full time in our rig, we travel as close to our rig’s max weight because it’s everything we own and don’t want the extra weight of carrying water in the tank.

SCPOSWRET

Not 100% sure but, I think Fox was referring to carrying the 5 gallons of water for “potty emergencies.” We have 2 one gallon water containers (easier for the DW to handle rather than a large container) that we keep available to use to flush toilet if the need arises. Since we full time in our rig, we travel as close to our rig’s max weight because it’s everything we own and don’t want the extra weight of carrying water in the tank.

thank you lou and betty. if I have the 5 gal pot water canister with me I suppose it can be used for whatever the need that may arise, flushing or otherwise. happy camping!

cipwood

Ok I know, there’s been lots of stuff posted about tong weight. And I’ve read lots about it. All seem to agree 10 – 15% of GVRW is the right place to be. Ok, the question is which is it 10 or 15% and what determines that percentage? The difference on a 7000 lb. trailer is 350 lbs and that’s a big difference.

Dahillbilly

Ok I know, there’s been lots of stuff posted about tong weight. And I’ve read lots about it. All seem to agree 10 – 15% of GVRW is the right place to be. Ok, the question is which is it 10 or 15% and what determines that percentage? The difference on a 7000 lb. trailer is 350 lbs and that’s a big difference.
see my answer in the other post 10% or 15%

david-steph2018

It is not 10% or 15%. It is between 10% to 15%. Plus, how it tows at 10% vs. how it tows at 14 or 15% of tongue weight.