Upgrade to Golf Cart Batteries

Herbeez

I just completed my upgrade from the standard 12 volt battery to 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries on my Sundance 245RL 5th wheel. Surprisingly the larger 6 volt battery fit into the original battery case in the front storage compartment. However the battery was too tall for the top half cover. I made a 1"x 2" wood frame and attached it to the bottom half of the battery box. I then attached the top cover to the frame and it fits perfect. I bought a standard 6 volt battery box and installed it next to the existing box. I cut a hole in the top and installed a flexible vent and tied it into the existing vent by using a 1-1/2 inch ABS "Y" connector and threaded coupler. The flexible tubing fits perfectly into this sized piping. Attached are photos highlighting the project. Sorry, I couldn't get the photos to rotate.

Attachments

• IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 76

660griz

I just did the same thing this weekend. Got tired of replacing so called deep cycle marine batteries.

Lynn1130

And I went away from the 6 volt back to 12 volt but 3 AGM batteries. I dry camp about 50% or more of the time and batteries in Arizona do not last much more than 18 months. I have been able to get 24 months out of trailer batteries but not much more. Trying to lift a battery case with 2 6 volt batteries out of the battery compartment became a major effort and sometimes took calling my son-in-law over to help. That is hard to do if things go south in the middle of no where. Moving individual 12 volt AGM is sooo much easier and if one goes bad the whole system does not go down. I don't worry about boxes or venting.