Battery Monitoring (non-solar)

jbeletti

I'd like to add a decent battery bank monitor to my coach for my 2 house batteries. I don't have any solar and have no plans to add it.

I want to know my battery bank voltage, state of charge, time left etc.

I've been following some of the solar build threads on this forum and saw the Victron products.

I'm considering the Victron BMV-712 (link). I like this one for the Bluetooth capability. The goal with the BT is to be able to monitor from the truck. Unsure if I'll get that sort of range from it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter of battery monitoring?

BMV-712-1.jpg BMV-712-2.jpg BMV-712-3.jpg

orion7144

I installed the same one in mine. Works really good. I can connect from the truck but it is spotty. It can really open your eyes to how the batteries are being utilized. I was surprised to see how little my 4x6V golf cart batteries actually utilized with the residential fridge and how little the draw was while I have it parked in between camping trips. The history function is great too.

dave10a

I use Xantrex chargers and battery monitor in my boat with good results. However, they are a little pricey. I would look for a battery monitor that uses Hall Effect current monitoring rather than a shunt. I don't know if one is available that is designed specifically for over all battery monitoring. They are available for current and voltage monitoring up to 500amps. The advantage of Hall Effect technology is efficiency over a shunt which has to drop a voltage over a small resistance which effectively is the same as reducing the wire size from the battery. I installed a hall effect current/voltage monitoring device dav02p.jpg in my RV and it works great. However I have to calculate the remaining batter capacity and condition myself..

Bogie

Jim,

I use the Xantrex Link Lite, all be it for a different reason. I use it to monitor the batteries when dry camping. It allow me to know exactly how many amp hours I have used. Additionally, it has the ability to separately monitor two sets of batteries if you have them isolated. It is not Bluetooth, but that is not an issue for me. I really like being able to know the condition of the batteries at any one time.
linklite-battery-monitor.jpg

Oregon_Camper

I installed our Victron BMV-712 when I install our 6 Lithium batteries......and I could be any happier!! The install is straight forward, but you might want to also purchase a busbar for your negative wires. You can only have one Negative cable coming off the battery, so a busbar will really help.

We were able to monitor our batteries while driving....pretty cool. I think these will really help you monitor your system, as I know you've been having issues with your DC power recently.

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Jim, this is the unit I just purchase and am in the process of installing.

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-0-01-...rds=juntek&dpPl=1&dpID=51BT1aNkdgL&ref=plSrch

It is wireless between the shunt and display, bidirectional and the shunt get installed in the battery negative circuit. I problay won’t be done with it until after I return from the Indiana (Elkhart) Rally next week. If anyone is interested in seeing this one, I’ll have it with me at that rally.

FYI I purchased mine from aliexpress for $25 and free shipping’s. The aliexpress site lets you pick the amp rating of the shunt too..

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32857539589.html?spm=a2g0n.orderlist-amp.item.32857539589

jbeletti

I installed our Victron BMV-712 when I install our 6 Lithium batteries......and I could be any happier!! The install is straight forward, but you might want to also purchase a busbar for your negative wires. You can only have one Negative cable coming off the battery, so a busbar will really help.

We were able to monitor our batteries while driving....pretty cool. I think these will really help you monitor your system, as I know you've been having issues with your DC power recently.

Thanks for your feedback Jim. Funny - I've been looking at busbars. Bluesea is very proud of theirs. Looking at other ones too and want to keep them high-current. Considering getting one for the positive leads as well so I can get all those wires off the battery box posts and have a single wire coming off each post.

jbeletti

Jim, this is the unit I just purchase and am in the process of installing.

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-0-01-...rds=juntek&dpPl=1&dpID=51BT1aNkdgL&ref=plSrch

It is wireless between the shunt and display, bidirectional and the shunt get installed in the battery negative circuit. I problay won’t be done with it until after I return from the Indiana (Elkhart) Rally next week. If anyone is interested in seeing this one, I’ll have it with me at that rally.

FYI I purchased mine from aliexpress for $25 and free shipping’s. The aliexpress site lets you pick the amp rating of the shunt too..

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32857539589.html?spm=a2g0n.orderlist-amp.item.32857539589

Here is an article for nerds that explaine Hall effect battery monitors. https://www.allegromicro.com/en/Des...nt-Trends-in-Hall-Effect-Current-Sensing.aspx

Jim,

I use the Xantrex Link Lite, all be it for a different reason. I use it to monitor the batteries when dry camping. It allow me to know exactly how many amp hours I have used. Additionally, it has the ability to separately monitor two sets of batteries if you have them isolated. It is not Bluetooth, but that is not an issue for me. I really like being able to know the condition of the batteries at any one time.
View attachment 59544

Joe, Dave and Dave,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! I went with the Victron model. I'll advise once I get it and get it all installed.