New F350 / Andersen ultimate hitch / 1621hd pinbox

Ordered a 19 F350 short box, SRW, 4x4, diesel on 20” rims.
Considering an Andersen Ultimate hitch or possibly a B and W non-slide hitch.
Have a 1621hd pinbox on my 2017 Bighorn.
Does anyone have a similar truck and pin box with either of these hitches?
Concerned about cab and bed rail clearance, as well as a level trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoveredWagon

Ordered a 19 F350 short box, SRW, 4x4, diesel on 20” rims.
Considering an Andersen Ultimate hitch or possibly a B and W non-slide hitch.
Have a 1621hd pinbox on my 2017 Bighorn.
Does anyone have a similar truck and pin box with either of these hitches?
Concerned about cab and bed rail clearance, as well as a level trailer.

i can’t speak about a Ford, but I can tell you I love the Andersen Ultimate hitch. My recommendation is if you buy the Andersen you set the ball in its highest position there are 3 positions). Don’t ask how I know. It wasn’t so much the ball position, but the twist we had getting into our driveway that caused the problem.

Thanks. My concern is more with the pin box. The 1621hd is long enough it can contact my bed rails in my current truck. Andersen says you should turn the kingpin adapter around to prevent this. But, Then your hitch offset goes from 9” to 1”. That brings the trailer closer to the cab and the tailgate. Should I be swapping out my pin box for a shorter one?

With the puck system you’re close to the cab to start with. That’s why guys use the slider 5th wheels.

I can't say anything about your Ford, but I do have the Anderson ultimate hitch on my Chevy 3500 and love it.
I did have to turn the Anderson ball receiver to the rear which moved the trailer back about 6 to 9 inches. I used the highest setting on the ball in the bed of the truck.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have Ram with the Anderson and am very satisfied. I also use the long FlexAir pin box. One of the benefits of the Anderson Coupler is the ability to turn it around. Which shortened the length of the pin box and I now have no issues with my turning radius and hitting the bed rails. I have the ball set on the lowest setting.

Garypowell

Not sure but you might be confused as I was. I kept calling my 350 a “short bed” as it was 6.5 feet long. My thinking is if the 8 foot beds were “long” it made mine short. So I worried a lot about turning the hitch around as the directions say....

but someone pointed out to me I had a “standard bed”. I looked at the truck paperwork and sure enough it was called “standard”.

I know in smaller trucks i see I see this really tiny bed and I believe that is what Anderson is referring to.

Glad and I figured this out before I pulled for the first time......I used it in the normal position and had no trouble.

Oh, as someone mentioned above.....use the highest position.....mid or lower it will scrape if your are turning and going over a bump.

I saw on one of the Andersen videos where they measure the length of your pin box from the kingpin to the rear of the pin box. If that measurement is greater than half the width of your boxrails you need to reverse the adapter on the kingpin. You would lose most of your hitch offset then.