North Trail - Rear Bumper/Cover position question

I have the 31RED 2009 travel trailer, with a problem with the floor from the below the window to the two slides. The question is does the cover on the outside where a bumper would normally go, cover the flooring within the trailer. It appears there a crack along the top of that cover. could water enter there and be soaking the flooring?

jbeletti

Re: ATF: North Trail - Cover the took the place of a bumper

Hey Willie - kindly post a picture or two of what you're seeing so we can take a look.

Hey Willie - kindly post a picture or two of what you're seeing so we can take a look.

DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0007.jpgDSC_0009.jpgDSC_0010.jpgDSC_0012.jpg
I understand that that seam should have been calked Should there be a crack that would allow water into the inside of the trailer?

jbeletti

Once properly caulked, there will be no crack. Later, a crack may/will develop as heat, UV and movement take its toll on caulking.

I suggest you remove the bumper to confirm if this crack was the "point of entry" for water that damaged the floor. Sometimes, "point of entry" locating can be tricky and where the damage occurs isn't always the "point of entry".

danemayer

Once properly caulked, there will be no crack. Later, a crack may/will develop as heat, UV and movement take its toll on caulking.

I suggest you remove the bumper to confirm if this crack was the "point of entry" for water that damaged the floor. Sometimes, "point of entry" locating can be tricky and where the damage occurs isn't always the "point of entry".

That's the plan. Had I known, I could have avoided this repair.
Thanks

jbeletti

That's the plan. Had I known, I could have avoided this repair.
Thanks

It's hard to know everything. But yeah, caulking will eventually shrink. As it shrinks/pulls back. This often time looks like a crack. Time to check every inch of caulking on your unit, top to bottom.

It's hard to know everything. But yeah, caulking will eventually shrink. As it shrinks/pulls back. This often time looks like a crack. Time to check every inch of caulking on your unit, top to bottom.

No Sir, What doesn't show well in the photo, is pressing on the wall at the connection, opens a gap about a 1\16 of a inch. It is a place where waterr can get by. The question in my mind is would it get to the sub flooring. I will be taking the bumper off to see if the sub floor extends into the bumper.

Thanks for the information and support and encouragement.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While you are busy caulking be sure to look at the roof lines.
That water could be coming in from the roof area or from a window area.

Peace
Dave

While you are busy caulking be sure to look at the roof lines.
That water could be coming in from the roof area or from a window area.

Peace
Dave
Planning on doing that as well. I know that roofs and windows are suppect places. Just never thought about a bumper being one.