15 amp circuit breaker keeps tripping for W/H

i have a new to me 2008 cyclone 3010 TT. I got it from a reseller and there are a few things wrong with it I need help fixing. The current issue is in the Circuit breaker box the breaker labeled W/H keeps tripping. I have tried replacing the breaker and still the same issue. I want to think the W/H is for the water heater but not 100% sure. I’m not sure what is causing this to short out. I need some help finding the issue and fixing it.

Attachments

• 399B7CC9-E030-4F82-AF3B-1B172076ADF3.jpg
    399B7CC9-E030-4F82-AF3B-1B172076ADF3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 29
  • EA8D5809-4935-4AA6-9FBB-08B00BBEF6FF.jpg
    EA8D5809-4935-4AA6-9FBB-08B00BBEF6FF.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 29

jbeletti

W/H is water heater.

Switch that breaker off, then find the back of the W/H. Look for a metal box attached to it where you see the Romex (120 VAC) power wire go into it. Remove the cover of that box to inspect.

Once (or twice), I had the stranded conductor of the W/H AC heating element slip out of the wire nut that connected it to the solid conductor of the Romex. As it slipped out further, it caused the amp draw to increase which heated the insulation of the wires and the wire nut.

Eventually, the solid conductor poked through the melted wire nut and shorted against the inside of the metal box. Caused all manner of issues for me. Might not be your issue, but work checking.

Another idea is to go outside to the exterior portion of the W/H and turn the little switch off. That will break the AC wiring loop to the AC heating element inside the W/H tank. If the W/H heating element is blown, it "could" be the cause of the short.

Thanks for the great info I found the box but I can not access it from under the sink. I attached the pictures

- - - Updated - - -

Also that switch outside of the water heater is off.

Attachments

• 750DF30B-BCEE-4B42-B2A0-8415B598D9A6.jpg
    750DF30B-BCEE-4B42-B2A0-8415B598D9A6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 69FDC323-DEC1-400A-8ABE-6F322DCB1E64.jpg
    69FDC323-DEC1-400A-8ABE-6F322DCB1E64.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 48
What is this black box with 2 push buttons that say push to reset on the outside of the water heater? I tried punishing them and they don’t move.

Attachments

• 0C42E0B1-DDBB-4EF4-A661-999FE9B35929.jpg
    0C42E0B1-DDBB-4EF4-A661-999FE9B35929.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 489636EB-1C87-44B9-A692-F2C798DA2BD0.jpg
    489636EB-1C87-44B9-A692-F2C798DA2BD0.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 27

danemayer

Those are combination Thermostat/Electrical Cut Off (ECO) mechanisms. If the ECO senses an abnormally high water temperature, it opens the heating circuits. Pressing the reset button restores operation.

jbeletti

Yes, that is the box. I think there is a single screw that holds the box cover on. Good luck getting to it. Sorry it's so buried.

Once you have access to it, even if the splices look good inside, you may want to disconnect the white/black wires from the W/H wiring, wire nut them and try the breaker again. That will at least test the path from the breaker to the j-box on the W/H.

If that tests good, I'd suspect the element. That said, perhaps before trying to get to that box, pull the plastic cover (outside on W/H) off the back of the electric element, remove the 2 wires, tape them up, then try the breaker again.

hoefler

I would first remove the cover and wires from the element, using your multi meter, ohm out the element, chances are it is bad, burnt in 2 and has shorted out.

CoveredWagon

Yes, that is the box. I think there is a single screw that holds the box cover on. Good luck getting to it. Sorry it's so buried.

Once you have access to it, even if the splices look good inside, you may want to disconnect the white/black wires from the W/H wiring, wire nut them and try the breaker again. That will at least test the path from the breaker to the j-box on the W/H.

If that tests good, I'd suspect the element. That said, perhaps before trying to get to that box, pull the plastic cover (outside on W/H) off the back of the electric element, remove the 2 wires, tape them up, then try the breaker again.

Id go with Jim’s second idea first. It’s the easiest and a very good possibility. Always try the easiest first. Don’t ask me how I know ��
A 10 year old element would be highly suspect to me.

So I ordered a new heating element figured reguardless it would be a good idea to change it. Got the new one installed and still having the same issue. So I guess now it’s on the the electrical connection on the back of the water tank.

jbeletti

So I ordered a new heating element figured reguardless it would be a good idea to change it. Got the new one installed and still having the same issue. So I guess now it’s on the the electrical connection on the back of the water tank.

Bummer. Keep the old element as a backup.

Next steps...

Turn off W/H breaker in the breaker panel and the black switch on the W/H.

Here's what you're looking for (metal box on top of the W/H):
IMG_4844 (1).jpg

One you find that box, remove the cover on it and inspect the wire-nut splices that connect that yellow Romex AC power wire to wires coming from the W/H.

Here's what I found on mine in a previous coach:
IMG_4849 (1).jpg

Here's how I fixed it:
IMG_4850 (1).jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've found exactly the same thing as Jim on a couple of water heaters that I have worked on so it definitely is something you need to look at.

Peace
Dave

Thanks for the info Jim... I just have a heck of a time getting to that box. I can only access from under the sink and there is not much room to get back there. I will find a way!

Bummer. Keep the old element as a backup.
Next steps...

Turn off W/H breaker in the breaker panel and the black switch on the W/H.

Here's what you're looking for (metal box on top of the W/H):
View attachment 59661

One you find that box, remove the cover on it and inspect the wire-nut splices that connect that yellow Romex AC power wire to wires coming from the W/H.

Here's what I found on mine in a previous coach:
View attachment 59662

Here's how I fixed it:
View attachment 59663

I was finally able to get to the box and everything looks good.... I’m stumped:mad:

Attachments

• 64E64820-3C1A-4B46-B36F-6EA7B31F1AD9.jpg
    64E64820-3C1A-4B46-B36F-6EA7B31F1AD9.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 17

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Can you remove the wire nuts and disconnect the wires there in the box?
Be sure to disconnect from shore power before doing this just in case the breakers are marked wrong.
Then turn on your breaker and water heater switch. If the breaker trips then you will know that the problem is before the water heater.
If it doesn't trip then the problem will be at the water heater.

Peace
Dave

So I un hooked the wires at the water heater flipped the breaker and pop!!! So I guess I have a short in the wire before the water heater.