Is there a Full-time capable travel trailer ( not fifth wheel )

MountainDon

Hello All, and thank you in advance for your input.

I remember a discussion a while back that talked about the design parameters for different RV's and in this discussion it was stated that most travel trailers had a design spec for 2 weeks of use a year and that full time RV's were built to a different standard.

Basically what I took from this discussion was that some people may use trailers not designed for full-time use as their full-time trailer, but that they were not necessarily built for that kind of use.

We are looking for the future purchase of a full-time capable trailer and the simple fact is that if I want to store it indoors it will be a lot more expensive to find or build a building capable of holding a 14 foot tall RV instead of an 11' tall travel trailer.

At this point you are probably saying " why does this idiot think he would be storing a trailer for full-time use". The answer to this observation is that I do not intend to be a full timer, but do intend to spend 2-3 months a year in the trailer and perhaps a month or two at a time. I like the concept of a trailer built to handle this....... so

Is there a travel trailer out there that will hold up to this kind of use?

Thanks
Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't directly answer your question but I do know people that full time in a North Trail.

Peace
Dave

sengli

We have looked at a lot of RV's pretty much for years, just because. My biggest item to make a higher end unit, was a one piece shower, that wasnt plastic, and so far we havent found any TT that had such a thing. Seemingly there isnt a higher end TT, that compares to the high end full time capable fivers we all see all the time. But there are some nice TT out there you could easily get by with.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have met quite a few folks that are full-timing in their NT. We have met many folks full timing in TT's and a few even in a pop-up out in South Carolina. When we had our NT we did quite a few extended stays in hot, humid and cold. While it was nowhere near as comfy as our BC we were very comfortable just the same. I think the bigger question is are you really lacking anything in the NT? Either way it is what you want to do IMO.

MountainDon

There are definitely upgrades we need/want. We have a 21FBS. I have removed the u-shaped dinette and put a nice couch there. We can certainly get the size/features we need in a TT, but probably looking at 31+ feet long, so I was concerned about the axles/frame, etc If they were designed for more travel and use

We like our NT, but we will upgrade into something bigger before we retire and have the time for more extended stays

I have seen a number of trailers that not only have W/D prep, but much larger refer space, so pretty much everything we would get in a fiver we can get in a TT ( that we care about )

If they are built well enough, it could be a really good option when storage is considered

Domi

If you cannot find what you like from a normal manufacturers you could look at a custom build. They definaly can make a travel trailer for full time use. Not cheap and not light weight but pretty good builds. I know of one builder for sure that does TT's and there might be a few others. Not sure if forum rules allow for posting of other company names so shoot me a message if you want more info.

We are headed to the HDT rally in Huchinson, Ks in a week and a half to look at the build quality of a 5'ver to see if that is the way we want to go when we retire.

John

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are some TT's designed for full-time living, but not so sure they are designed for full-time towing around.

However, they are not Heartland products.