BH 250 winterizing

So can anyone help me here. I’ve winterized our last trailer multiple times but it was easy since it had a tube already attached for antifreeze. Just turn a few knobs to close off fresh water tank and h2o heater then pump thru with onboard pump. I tried reading online manual for this unit and was more confused. 😬😬. Do I need to add a hose somewhere and how do I keep from entering fresh water tank? Not sure I want to attempt the blow out method.

danemayer

You need to locate the water pump and trace back on the suction side until you find the antifreeze suction hose, and the valve that allows the pump to pull fluid through the suction hose and into the pump.

You also need to locate the water heater bypass valve(s) and arrange them to keep antifreeze out of the water heater tank.

When you use the pump to suck antifreeze, the pump pushes the antifreeze to the plumbing fixtures, not to the fresh tank.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to locate the water pump and trace back on the suction side until you find the antifreeze suction hose, and the valve that allows the pump to pull fluid through the suction hose and into the pump.

You also need to locate the water heater bypass valve(s) and arrange them to keep antifreeze out of the water heater tank.

When you use the pump to suck antifreeze, the pump pushes the antifreeze to the plumbing fixtures, not to the fresh tank.

danemayer

Thanks. My last one had a shut off valve for fresh water tank. Will there be one in this unit to look for?
I think your trailer has a gravity fill for the fresh tank - where you place a hose loosely into the opening and fill the fresh tank. Other trailers have a 4-way Anderson Valve, where the same hose connection for city water is used to fill the fresh tank, when the valve is set to the TANK position.

With the gravity fill type, there's no need for a shut off valve for the fresh water tank as city water has no path into the fresh tank unless there's a pump malfunction.

Perhaps you're thinking of the fresh tank drain. If so, you'll probably find that hanging down on the off-door-side, just in front of the axles.

Our owner-written Water Systems Guide has a generic drawing of the water system on page 6. You may find that helpful. In addition, the Winterization Guide in the same folder provides additional information about winterizing.

I think your trailer has a gravity fill for the fresh tank - where you place a hose loosely into the opening and fill the fresh tank. Other trailers have a 4-way Anderson Valve, where the same hose connection for city water is used to fill the fresh tank, when the valve is set to the TANK position.

With the gravity fill type, there's no need for a shut off valve for the fresh water tank as city water has no path into the fresh tank unless there's a pump malfunction.

Perhaps you're thinking of the fresh tank drain. If so, you'll probably find that hanging down on the off-door-side, just in front of the axles.

Our owner-written Water Systems Guide has a generic drawing of the water system on page 6. You may find that helpful. In addition, the Winterization Guide in the same folder provides additional information about winterizing.
On my old unit there was a valve that shut off fresh water at the tank and another I had to open to allow antifreeze to be drawn in thru tube. It was all right under the dinette seating and pump and water heater were on other side of the trailer. So I just bypassed water heater and then shut valve to fresh tank and opened other for winterizing draw in using pump. Tank drain you refer to was down the line a bit passed that valve.

Trying to add photos but not sure how.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess it worked. So photo of water heater, which posted sideways, has a wooden bracket wedged under it. Doesn’t look right to me. Also trying to figure out shutoff valves. I know one is input for winterizing and am guessing other one is for fresh water tank shutoff? Also, anyone know what the black attachment is for or does? It seems to be on the city water inlet hose.

Attachments

• F66CEC6B-919B-43B3-87E4-E5C51BADDB76.jpg
    F66CEC6B-919B-43B3-87E4-E5C51BADDB76.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 30
  • C4440882-212E-497F-AA2F-7705A56A81C6.jpg
    C4440882-212E-497F-AA2F-7705A56A81C6.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 27

danemayer

Trying to add photos but not sure how.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess it worked. So photo of water heater, which posted sideways, has a wooden bracket wedged under it. Doesn’t look right to me. Also trying to figure out shutoff valves. I know one is input for winterizing and am guessing other one is for fresh water tank shutoff? Also, anyone know what the black attachment is for or does? It seems to be on the city water inlet hose.

I'm pretty sure you're wasting your time looking for a fresh water tank shutoff.

The water heater bypass on your rig has 3 valves. Your picture shows two of them. One shuts off the cold water line into the water heater. A second shuts off the hot water line coming out of the water heater. The third is a crossover that is opened when the water heater is bypassed.

The wood framing under the water heater looks like it may have shifted and should be re-positioned.

The black fixture, like the one in the attached Bighorn picture, is an anti-siphon valve on the black tank flush line. It protects against contamination of the campground water supply if campground pressure goes negative while using the black tank flush.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 24
I'm pretty sure you're wasting your time looking for a fresh water tank shutoff.

The water heater bypass on your rig has 3 valves. Your picture shows two of them. One shuts off the cold water line into the water heater. A second shuts off the hot water line coming out of the water heater. The third is a crossover that is opened when the water heater is bypassed.

The wood framing under the water heater looks like it may have shifted and should be re-positioned.

The black fixture, like the one in the attached Bighorn picture, is an anti-siphon valve on the black tank flush line. It protects against contamination of the campground water supply if campground pressure goes negative while using the black tank flush.

- - - Updated - - -
The green circle is around a shut off valve that is on a hose that leads down to fresh water tank area