Tire snow chains for a dually

Eric1234

Good evening,

i am researching tire tire chains for our F450 so we can go to the snow this winter. I have decided on Pewag square link tire chains and have a question on whether to get single or triple railer tire chains. Cal trans only requires the outside tire chained on dually for recreational vehicles towing a trailer. For commercial trucks both rear tires on a 2 axle tractor need to be chained. I am leaning towards the safer of chaining both rear tires on the duals. I would like to gain some wisdom from someone who is knowledgeable in this area.

thank you for your time

Eric

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf

LBR

I carry a set of Les Schwab cables for our F-450 just for the outside tires due to the legal formalities of carrying with my intent of never needing them.

Don't forget drag chains/cables for the trailer.

Eric1234

Thank you guys for the reply, I have seen the autosock but it is not approved where I live in California so I have discounted it. Seems like most rv’s are going the opposite direction of snow and we are going straight for it. I don’t look forward to putting on snow chains but the wife wants to go to the snow so we are going.

have a good evening

eric

NYSUPstater

Might want to consider a good set of dedicated snow tires as well. If you have snow tires, do you still need chains?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Personally, we love to travel from Texas to Colorado or New Mexico to go skiing with our rig. Have done it for the last 10 years. But we refuse to move if the roads are bad. We just delay an extra day, or re-route, until the road conditions are better. I am not sure I would try to tow in weather that required chains. Even if you are experienced with winter weather, towing is another story!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Erika I'm with you. If I see one flake I'm off the road.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

We have cable chains for the outside rear tires of the truck and for one axle on the trailer. We have done quite a bit of winter travel, and carry the chains as an alternative to being stuck. Never used the trailer set, and have only used the truck set in our yard to get the trailer out of storage.

We stay on main highways where snow clearing keeps up with the weather and look for weather windows where temps are above freezing for 2 days prior to travel, with no precipitation. On the way to Denver, because of the uncertainties of conditions on I-70 through the mountains, we had backup plans to stay in the Denver area.

We've been delayed by surprise blizzards a couple of times where we had to stay an extra day and wait for the roads to be cleared.

We've also been caught in mountain passes a few times with unforeseen snowstorms leaving snow on the road. That's something I would strongly recommend avoiding. Maintaining traction on uphill switchbacks is very problematic, and downhill curves and switchbacks have to be taken at a crawl.