batteries draining

gslabbert5119

I think that i must have a short somewhere in my rig, for when i am driving and overnight while we are sleeping my batteries are draining down to 10.2v
No lights are on, everything is turned off including the 50amp main breaker.
All exterior lights are led and they are off as well.

As a test I turned off all A/C breakers while driving yesterday and the batteries went from 12.5v to 10.4v

Any ideas Where would I begin to start looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The main 50 amp breakers are for the 120V AC electrical so I assume you're thinking that something on the 120V AC side is pulling power through your inverter setup. But if it still happens with the main 50s turned off, the problem would seem to be on the 12V DC side.

To isolate the problem between the 120V AC side and 12V DC side, I'd suggest you test again with your inverter disconnected or turned OFF.

WillyBill

Also, that signal amplifier for the cable in the bedroom cabinet. It was getting me for a while.

WB

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have a radio with a LCD clock display, it may always be on when the battery is connected, along with the propane leak detector. Our prior TT would drain quickly in storage until I started disconnecting the battery. If you install a battery cut-off switch, and turn off the battery, your problem will cease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Folks, this isn't likely a drain caused by the radio or alarms. Batteries would not get drawn down to 10.2V overnight from those small loads.

As I recall, Gavin has installed a complicated modification to his 12V system to run 120V AC loads off a large inverter. He previously had a problem with a 400 amp fuse blowing, which was resolved with a slow blow fuse. I recall a certain amount of discussion about the details of his installation and IIRC, a few arguments.

sengli

I know our 2013 big horn the heat tape on the fresh water run from the tank to the pump, that was included in the yeti package would turn itself on, if its cold enough....w/o a switch

eddylives

Break away switch?
I had that issue on the first trailer I owned

just re read your post......I think you would notice the brakes dragging lol

esscobra

is it resi fridge with inverter? factory setup - inverter would run off battery especially if breakers off

LBR

As mentioned, check the break away switch...maybe had forgot to disconnect it when you last unhooked?

gslabbert5119

Thanks folks, I have just arrived in The Teton - Yellowstone area and will go through all of the suggestions in the morning.This is not a small short if the batteries (6 Trojan T-105) are being run down from 13.56v to 10.2v overnight while we sleep. All lights have been switched to LED and turned off, Fridge is on propane for now, so its not that, all exterior running lights are LED Thanks for the input.Gavin

SLO

I had a battery drain problem this last month which may not be of any help to you. The first night we got to MorRyde for the IS install, the power went out. I turn on the inverter to run my CPAP machine for the night. Next morning my 4 batteries (400 amps) we’re down there 350 amps. Wow, didn’t think CPAP would draw that many amps. Then I realized I didn’t switch my absorption refrigerator to propane. All night inverting power for the electric heating of the refrigerator really sucked the batteries down. I’m sure really shorting the life of the batteries. I should not have put the refrigerator on the inverted bus of the AC panel. I’ll have to change that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

check that your inverter/converter has the converter function turned off. You'll be in an infinite loop (draining power) as you create AC power from Inverter, to power the Converter, in order to create DC power back to battery bank.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thanks folks, I have just arrived in The Teton - Yellowstone area and will go through all of the suggestions in the morning.This is not a small short if the batteries (6 Trojan T-105) are being run down from 13.56v to 10.2v overnight while we sleep. All lights have been switched to LED and turned off, Fridge is on propane for now, so its not that, all exterior running lights are LED Thanks for the input.Gavin

The refer still uses 12 volts for ignition of the propane.

porthole

Retired

That is a significant draw.
Simple - make sure you are not in a battery killing loop of 'making AC from DC to use a AC charger/converter to replenish the DC loss.

----

Separate the batteries into 3 groups of 12 volt and check for the draw with each group individually. Unless you have a way to test cell voltage or a battery load tester.
One bad cell will bring down the whole bank.

Checking for parasitic or large draws: Negative cable disconnected and an ammeter in series between the battery negative post and battery cable negative end.
Keep in mind a significant draw will most likely blow the fuse in the meter. Alternatively you can use an incandescent bulb in place of the meter.

Pull all the fuses and start plugging back in one at a time. Same with any leads on your B+ side terminal blocks.

https://testmeterpro.com/parasitic-draw-test-with-a-multimeter/

Oregon_Camper

Finally.... Is your inverter on? If so, make sure the water heater is not on 110v mode. That can pull a LOT of power out of batteries..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Look at your Victron data... In history tab. You'll be able to see battery drain and consumption levels

gslabbert5119

Look at your Victron data... In history tab. You'll be able to see battery drain and consumption levels

All I see are the max and min drains.
Is there a way to see daily consumption in the history ?

Low of 9.4v and a high of 15.08v

Gavin

Oregon_Camper

All I see are the max and min drains.
Is there a way to see daily consumption in the history ?

Low of 9.4v and a high of 15.08v

Gavin

9.4v..? That is extremely low to a point where you are damaging the batteries.

Please let us know what is running. Still think your converter/inverter is the problem. Have you tried charging batteries and then turning it off? This would mean you're only running in 12v power..... No 110v. See what happens in the setup.

The Victron solar can provide daily consumption not the BVM.

danemayer

Note post #1 - drain occurs with main 50 amp circuit breakers turned off. Assuming the Power Converter is getting 120V from the main breaker panel, there would be no loss of power by looping through the Power Converter.