An Alternative to Wirenuts that should great in RV's

wdk450

Gang:
After reading Jim's and others posts about an electric water heater problem, remembering my own fight in the tiny water heater electrical connection box with the wirenuts, and all of the other postings over the years about intermittent wirenut connections in places like undertrailer electrical interconnect boxes, I wondered if there was a new solution to this problem of easily and reversibly connecting small electrical wiring. Well, a websearch came up with these new, cam arm operated, reliable, vibration resistant, wire connectors. https://www.kinequip.com/wago-221-4...iy-cSVhxA5uNot3owO0ixDodvk_HvbwxoCfbUQAvD_BwE . Check out the 2nd mouse selectable illustration on the left to see how they work.

Now, how do we get the RV manufacturers to adopt these?

danemayer

Bill,

I've been replacing wire nuts with Wago connectors for the past 2 years. I think Jesstalkn referenced them in one of his mods. They're fabulous. They come in various sizes permitting joining of more than a couple of wires. And they nicely join solid wire with stranded wire, which can be tricky with wire nuts. Different wire sizes aren't a problem either.

Here's a link to the Wago connectors I've been using.

Bob.jr

Is there a pictualare size you use most often?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

wdk450

I found these on E-Bay with easy choices of smaller lots, and various numbers of terminals. Only big drawback (that I try to watch for on E-Bay) is that they are shipped from China, about 15 days delivery time.

RoadJunkie

I’ve been using something like THESE from Home Depot for a few years. They have a mixed pack with options for 2,3 and 4 wire gangs.

dykesj11

Dan Mayer turned me on to these this past summer. Dave Tyler and I used them for control wiring in three CheapHeat installations we did. Way easier than wirenuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wdk450

I’ve been using something like THESE from Home Depot for a few years. They have a mixed pack with options for 2,3 and 4 wire gangs.

I saw those too, but didn't understand how they connected to the wire and how tight of a connection they made, so I didn't recommend them.

Fill us in!!

esscobra

ive used some for replacing light fixtures and hard wiring multi outlet strips and no issues - wires do not easily come out -

RoadJunkie

ive used some for replacing light fixtures and hard wiring multi outlet strips and no issues - wires do not easily come out -

Once the wires are inserted in these puppies you are committed! They really pass the pull test. I think you can release the wires by inserting a very small screwdriver into a slot, but not sure. If I screw up I just cut and throw...not that I’ve ever done this.

dykesj11

With the Wago type, the closing the lever locks in the wire. Lifting the lever releases it and it can be reused. I got the selection from Amazon link Dan provided (and Finnegan too). 3s, 4s and 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lou_and_Bette

Thank you Bill and Dan for providing the info on these connectors. I have never heard of them but they look very useful. I think these would make a very practical Christmas present. I did look on both Amazon and EBay for buying options. While browsing the choices, I noticed that the standard connectors were designed for 12-28 ga wire. On EBay there was a listing for the newest design that included a device for 10ga wire. Two of my 3 children don’t have RVs and, if they used these connectors, would be for household wiring. What would be the “standard” wire size most people have in their sticks and bricks in such locations as wall outlets and light wiring? I don’t want to buy a bunch of these for them and they have little use for them.

danemayer

Thank you Bill and Dan for providing the info on these connectors. I have never heard of them but they look very useful. I think these would make a very practical Christmas present. I did look on both Amazon and EBay for buying options. While browsing the choices, I noticed that the standard connectors were designed for 12-28 ga wire. On EBay there was a listing for the newest design that included a device for 10ga wire. Two of my 3 children don’t have RVs and, if they used these connectors, would be for household wiring. What would be the “standard” wire size most people have in their sticks and bricks in such locations as wall outlets and light wiring? I don’t want to buy a bunch of these for them and they have little use for them.

Lou,

I believe 15 amp circuits would generally use 14ga copper wire and 20amp 12ga copper. 10ga copper would be used for 30 amps. I doubt your children would have much occasion to rewire 30 amp circuits. Aluminum wire would be different, but I'm not sure you'll find that in most houses except perhaps in the main service line to the house.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

12 and 14 ga. wiring is the most common for 20 and 15A circuits. They may have 10 ga. (or lower) wiring if they have circuits that have a higher amperage draw, like air conditioners or electric appliances. A look in their breaker box will tell them if they have circuits over 20A.