winterizing problem

badddbrad

Hi-Am winterizing my 2009 Bighorn 3400 re. Everything was about done when I thought about the city water connection. I went to rv winterizing class and they told us to press the little button inside the city water connection until antifreeze ran out. Well antifreeze came out, and now it wont stop gushing out. Any help would be appreciated.thanks-brad

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The little button is a check valve to prevent water from coming out that connection when you are using the on board fresh water system with the pump. Sometimes those valves get cocked a little and may need to be jiggled a bit to reseat it.

Duramax1

The first time I pushed that button, the whole check valve came flying out and landed on the ground. Lucky I noticed as I was able to reinstall it, although not without a lot of grief.

After the reinstallation, it continued to leak but I kept playing with it and eventually got it to operate properly.

I reread the instructions after experiencing all this and learned that after disconnecting the water supply and turning off the water pump I should have opened a tap to release the pressure in the system. It was the built up pressure that caused the button/check valve to blow out of the tube when I depressed it.

That was the one and only year that I ever depressed the button. Mind you, living in Vancouver, the temperatures never get really cold, but they do go down below freezing.

jpmorgan37

Well, I can tell you that when it's 43 below zero, that's freezing. And when you are heading to your fish house and the temp is a moderate 10 below zero and the wind is hitting you in your face about 20 mph, that's freezing. And that's why we had a big auction sale and went full time to get out of that "stuff". It was 40 degrees this morning and it was cold. (Not freezing) Oh how I love the full timing life. My house has wheels on it.

John

Uncle Rog

Hey JP, my dad's family are still up in the Warroad Mn area and they have the ice houses and all that stuff. I am sure it is fun but too cold for me.............

Forrest Fetherolf

Snow on Mt Charleston today, high temp has dropped last few days from 90s to high 60s, ready to winterize the Horn by putting on king flannel sheets with matching pillow cases.............that's it, then I'm done.None Is that cold or what?:rolleyes:

Forrest

deee2

Darn, Forrest... that's just not fair. Here we are in NV also and it was 28 degrees last night. Friday we got 3 inches of snow. THAT is freezing. We are still going out one more time, then come home Oct. 28th to winterize the Bighorn. What a sad day that will be. Sigh.

Donna :)