Front Cap Cracks

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Yesterday I went to wash my BH. I just about fell off the ladder! My front Cap has a crack like a spider web shaped like a windshield a off center on section below where the sticker is above the down slope. It does not appear to have been hit. It is high above the height of the truck. At the center of the web it looks like you could almost flake off the shinny first layer.
I have never had anything like this before. I am going to contact my dealer. The trailer is 17 months old and in my opinion should not have had this happened.
How are cracks repaired in a cap?
Short term would tape or anything help hold it from flaking or any way help the cracks from getting worse?
Any comments, advice, ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Much
Wayne

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I had two areas in my rear cap on the top corners on each side that were spider cracking or crazing the repair guy called it. They just sanded mine off and recoated. They did pull the top cap loose to make sure there was not a laminate problem on the inside causing stress to make it crack. They said it looked fine but added a few layers of fiberglass there to strengthen , while they had it loose. They did a good job and would never know it was repaired. It can be caused by a number of things and best to google, gel coat cracking or crazing. It must be pretty common because they had 4 other rigs there for the same repair. It was a body shop that specialized in Rv an boat repair , that did the work....Kenny

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
After my cap was removed at the factory for a sidewall repair...I discovered two softball sized "spider" cracks on each side, equal distances apart. I think mine came from the cap being placed on something while they worked on the trailer, and pressure caused these cracks.

Still haven't fixed them, as Ken said it's a minor repair that any good fiberglass repair shop can handle...we'll probably get it done over the winter while set down. To date they haven't gotten any worse.