Bike rack?

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone!

We're still leaning towards a Bighorn 3055RL.

At our latest trip to the dealership we looked at the Open Range and noticed that it came with a 1.25" hitch receiver by default for a bike rack. Nice!

Then, of course, I had to crawl around on the ground under the Bighorn and sadly, no hitch receiver.

We'd really like to have a bike rack so that our 2000 model year son could bring his bike, as well as his friend that we'll be bringing along regularly. I asked the dealership about getting a hitch receiver installed, and they said it's about a $500 option. $500?!? WHAT???

I can see it costing maybe $50, even $75. We're probably talking about a $15 part plus some labour. Am I missing something? A few years ago, I had a class 3 hitch with 2" receiver installed onto my van and it cost only $350 including doing the wiring.

I know I might be looking at this incorrectly, but it seems a bit nuts to have to spend $500 for a bike rack receiver, then $150-200 for an appropriate bike rack, plus taxes, likely totaling $750 by the time I'm done...all to haul around a $150 bicycle. :-(

Anyone else have a hitch receiver for a bike rack on the back of their Bighorn? If so, what did it cost?

Chris

dmille3

I bought a bike rack that fits over the ladder holds 2 bikes have used it for two years without any problems I do use a few extra straps bought it at camping world

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are several persons on the forum who have after market bike racks installed on their Big Horns and other Heartland products. They have posted their pictures and install photos etc. Do a search for bike racks and you will see them.

wyleyrabbit

I bought a bike rack that fits over the ladder holds 2 bikes have used it for two years without any problems I do use a few extra straps bought it at camping world

Interesting. I asked the dealer about using a rack that fits onto the ladder, and he said, "Absolutely not! The ladder is not designed for a bike rack, not made to hold a bike rack, and you're just asking for problems that won't be covered by your warranty."

Chris

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Built my own receiver hitch for the bike rack. It is a long way between the frame rails on the bighorn. Need to use some beefy steel to have the support it needs for the distance, So the task is not as simple as it appears. However, works great for holding the bikes, even holds my motorized bike. Now that bike is a whole other story :)

geeksrus

Have you considered mounting it on the pin box?

I currently have a Top Pop unit on my BH.... kind of pricey but works well.

On my previous 5er, a Cardinal, I had a receiver welded to the pin box & used a Swagman Bike Rack for carrying. If you search on RV Net you'll find a lot of ideas for this approach.

Eh!

dreamer

bike rack

We have an 09 sundance and some bike rack experience[some bad but nobody hurt except my pride and wallet] There is a lot of bouncing and jarring at the back of the unit. Nobody makes a bumper strong enough to just bolt on a bike rack. With the bouncing the metal can fatigue crack and you will not see it right away or at all till too late. We met a caravan of 20 motorhomes in Northern BC and five of them had to get their reciever hitches welded on this trip and not all were towing toads.As for the pin box idea it sounds great and i made a reciever for my old trailer to put on the pin box. That reciever is now for sale for two reasons. One i weighed my 2900mk and i found we were overloaded by 100 pounds on the rear tires of my 2500hd duramax so i was not going to add a couple hundred more pounds. I feel we were traveling light. Secondly and more important was fuel mileage. We went on a 20000 k trip to Alaska and found our mileage was consistently 2MPG CDN better with the new trailer which was 6 feet longer and 3000 pounds heavier!! The old trailer had a fairly rounded front but the one on the sundance seems more aerodynamic and hence the better mileage!! To my way of thinking bikes mounted on the king pin would drastically harm the ait flow patterns and hence hurt fuel mileage.I hope this is of use to you. We carry our bikes on a reinforced rear bumper reciever hitch. There is a fair bit of work involved in modifying the bumper and where the bumper mounts to the main frame.None

boatdoc

I and my buddy, welder fabber, are doing this now. He's going to come over and have a look, tell me what to get as metal goes. Then I'll do the cutting and fitting and when ready he'll come back over with his portable rig and do it up. It looks to me as it's a piece of cake, we're not planning on double towing with a 3670, just a reciever bike rack.

wyleyrabbit

Here's a thought. What about the class-3 hitch I have on my Ford Windstar? It's currently bolted to the frame of the van, but we won't be keeping this vehicle. Is there any way that a standard class-3 hitch would be compatible with the Bighorn?

Thoughts?

Paul & Nan

Nan & I just bought our 09 BH 3670RL and had the dealer have a receiver installed for us so we could use our bikerack. Cost was $450.00 for receiver installed and welded. To us it was worth the price. We used to carry our bikes inside the 5er buth with the 3670 floor plan that wouldnt work. Receiver looks great and works well.
Paul & NaN
09 2670RL 1766
03 2500HD Duramax w/allison w/superchip

janitor1

check with lippert on the rear bike racks on there frames i did and they informed me that if i make a bike rack and put it on the rear they will void your warrent

Rear mount Bike rack

Found this one at CW, Rails mount right on the rear wall. Some said you cant get the rails but you CAN at CW. The mounts go all the way into the inside wall. I used all five studs in my 31QBS. The rails are 19#'s and the rack are 25#'s I put three adult bikes one it and they weigh 100#'s total Total weight of 144#'s on the rear wall studs. Nothing on the frame of the trailer. May void any warranty on the rear wall but the frame of the trailer is untouched. I still have to put two bike inside for the I got a stand so they don't roll or fall over fit right inside the bunk house. I will post pictures of the mod after our trip next weekend.
None
100_2551.jpg

Links for my rack:
https://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/3-bike-carrier/42116
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/thule-smart-rv-rail-kits/42115
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000077CPJ

Attachments

• 100_2272.jpg
    100_2272.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: