Check your springs...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I got a surprise on Friday, Oct. 3. Just as we were coming into Shreveport LA, I noticed some smoke coming out of the right side of the trailer. My first thought was “A tire has gone bad.” I have Pressure Pro sensors on the trailer and truck but got no alarm. Fortunately I had pulled over about 100ft from a freeway exit. I got out and the tires were up. Looked at the tires and they were rubbing against each other.

I looked under the trailer and found that my right rear spring was broken in half. This all happened about 1pm.
IMG_0413M.jpg

Then I looked at the tires and they had large groves in the tread.
IMG_0418M.jpg

IMG_0423M.jpg

I called Heartland and talked to Steve Kennel. He got me in contact with Dave from Lippert. Dave got a hold of Jeffery at the Longview office. Jeffery sent Juan out to where we were on the road to replace the springs. It had also bent both shocks on the door side.

This is a photo of some of the parts.
IMG_0425M.jpg

Notice the bent bracket. The middle is suppose to be flat and the ends bent up to mount the shocks. It also bent both front and rear shocks.
IMG_0427M.jpg

I called my Discount Tire dealer in Garland TX and asked him if they had a store in the Shreveport area. There were none available but he gave me the phone number to Michelin tire company. I called them and they gave me a number to a tire dealer in the area. That happened to be Moore Tire. Now would you believe it, they had only two Michelin XP Rib 16” tires and they would come out to me if necessary or I could drive to their shop at any time and they would mount them. Of course after 5pm would be a service charge for someone to come out to the shop to mount the tires.

Juan started to replace the ODS springs. He came out from under the trailer and told me the bad news. The rear axle had collapsed and we needed to change out both axles. To save time we did not replace the ODS springs. Juan said I could make it to Tyler but strongly recommended we replace them before going any further.

At this time we had less than 30 minutes to make it to Moore Tire. Juan followed me to the tire shop to make sure I had no problem with the tires on the way. We made it before 5pm. Moore Tire replaced the two tires and I was on the way to Tyler. We stayed the weekend at Whispering Pine RV north of Tyler.

On Monday I got in contact with Dave at Lippert. I told Dave I did not want the same 6k axles installed but wanted the 7k axles. One thing lead to another and Dave sent two 7k axles with springs and 2 shocks overnight to Longview. On Tuesday morning Jeffery called me and said the axles had arrived. We took off to Longview. We arrived at Longview about 11:30 and by 12:30 Jeffery had Juan and another employee installing the two axles. We were out of there by 3:30 and on our way to Austin with new 7k axles and suspension.

When we started out it seemed that the truck was laboring more to pull the trailer. I thought it might be something to do with the new axles being to tight. I jacked up each tire and could roll it by had so there was no problem with the tires. While we were talking about the trailer being harder to pull, my wife stated that the spare tire looked a lot further off the ground. I had also noticed the sewer hose pipe I have mounted under the back of the trailer cleared the ground easier. I then remember that the employee that was helping install the axles made a statement that the trailer was riding higher than before. So it looks like the trailer is higher and when I connect up it is placing more weight on the truck. I plan to adjust the height of the 5th wheel hitch and maybe the pinbox to level the trailer a little better.

All in all it cost me about $740 for tires, which Lippert is reimbursing, about $1,040 for overnight delivery and about $274 for the second axle and springs which was not covered under warranty and $210 labor for installing the second axle and springs. I think Lippert did me a fair job so the only thing that really hit me was the overnight delivery. I did not expect it to be that much. Figured on about $500 or so but not $1,040. Live and learn.

Only thing I can say and the reason for this thread, is to tell all of you to take a look at the springs and things under your trailer. I don’t know if I would have been able to see the broken (and rusted) spring but that is something we need to be aware of.

So all in all we are back on the road with new 7k axles and will be at the rally in Rayford Crossing on Monday. See you all there..

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Whoa Bob...That looks really scary!! I noticed on the the spring where it is broken in half at the axle shackle, that one of the leafs is rusted at the break. Looks like it was busted for awhile...possibly causing stress on the rest of the leafs which might have lead to the catestrophic failure. Man you were lucky to get off the road as quick as you did.

Well you'll have a hair-raising story to tell at the rally...see you in a couple of days!!

SmokeyBare

Would have been difficult to see that Rusty Broken Leaf.... it was between other ones not yet broken....

I've been there... and limped in (SOB) on my way to Reno one spring... those last few miles are Tough ones...

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Marv
I couldn't roll.. The tires were up against each other..
Thanks for Lippert and Hearland.. 4-5 hrs and two work days I was back on the road..

SmokeyBare

Yours sounded more complicated Bob... When I broke all 4 leaf's of the Spring on the right rear.... it only lowered the RV some... but there was still clearance between the tire and the wheel liner... and the other tire. I was lucky. Nervous driving the many miles to get into Reno...

I was what I thought at the time.. Lucky to find a spring shop. They suggested I not drive on the busted spring... Heck I KNEW THAT !! Ha Ha...

Turns out I changed those 4 new springs the next year... when I developed an bent axle and burned off the outside edge of two new tires.... That adventure was in Grant's Pass Oregon... and that's another story...

Marv

kakampers

We had a similiar experience when our rig was only two months old. The difference; one of the leafs in the rear spring broke at the end of the spring near the shackle. Noticed one day when looking underneath and saw the end of the spring "bent" down, instead of up...then noticed the leaf was snapped off and gone!!

Heartland and lippert were great with that too...I found a shop close by, Heartland authorized the work, Lippert overnighted the spring and we were on the road by noon the next day...can't say enough about how well they took care of the situation!

They actually had us ship the old spring back...as they wanted to have it tested to see what caused it, i.e., bad metal, fatigue, etc. Never did hear of the results though...oh well.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Yikes! I haven't heard, or seen, a leaf spring break like that. My concern is that all of the springs used in that unit, or other units, may be defective. Hopefully, the factory will have a discussion with the spring manufacturer. If the springs are failing on other units, and the owners are not members of the forum, they might not know what has happened to others. Surely the factory and the NTSB would consider a recall if it is occuring on other units. Even other manufacturers use that same spring suppliers. Wonder what other brands are having happen?
I, too, have Michelin tires and there is ample clearance between the tires, but if a spring breaks, I'd be in the same boat. Chinese springs?? (just kidding)

nscaler2

yes

Yikes! I haven't heard, or seen, a leaf spring break like that. My concern is that all of the springs used in that unit, or other units, may be defective. Hopefully, the factory will have a discussion with the spring manufacturer. If the springs are failing on other units, and the owners are not members of the forum, they might not know what has happened to others. Surely the factory and the NTSB would consider a recall if it is occuring on other units. Even other manufacturers use that same spring suppliers. Wonder what other brands are having happen?
I, too, have Michelin tires and there is ample clearance between the tires, but if a spring breaks, I'd be in the same boat. Chinese springs?? (just kidding)

Caddojay,
I can't remember where I read it, it was either here or on rv.net that in fact the manufactures of these things ARE USING CHINEESE SPRINGS:eek:. That among other reasons is why we broke down and spent the money to take our 3055 to Mor/Ryde and replace the entire suspension system with the Mor/Ryde IS system we also replaced the mickeymouse electric drum brakes with hydraulic disk brake. I may be paranoid, but I am SAFE. See too much of this kind of thing happening. There ought to be a law:mad:

kakampers

Nscaler2...we're interested in changing to Moryde IS with the disc brakes...if you don't mind us asking, can you give me an idea of what it costs? We have the 3600RL and would need at least a 7,000lb per axle capacity...is that what you have?

Thanks for any help you can provide...Ken and Kathy

nscaler2

price

Nscaler2...we're interested in changing to Moryde IS with the disc brakes...if you don't mind us asking, can you give me an idea of what it costs? We have the 3600RL and would need at least a 7,000lb per axle capacity...is that what you have?

Thanks for any help you can provide...Ken and Kathy
It was pretty pricey. Ours ran around $5200 for the entire conversion, with the IS suspension and the hydraulic disk brakes. It varies a little with each install depending on what modifications they have to make to your frame to make it all work. They added a 3inch bock frame to the bottom of our I beam on each side to add some space between the wheels and the top-inside of our wheel wheels to allow for the additional vertical wheel travel that you get with their suspension. This allows the wheels to fall into deeper depressions or higher bumps. They all work independently of one another now. The ride imporvement in the truck is incredible, so I figure the Bighorn is taking a lot less of a beating. The suspension that they add is based on the actual weight of your trailer. They weigh it at each wheel. I don't think it makes any difference in the price what the unit weighs. They had to put 7k brakes on ours in order to get the 8 bolt pattern on a 16 inch wheel. There was no additional charge for that. Oh I almost forgot, that price also included 100000 mile warranty no grease sealed wheel bearings. Like I said it was pricey, but IMHO worth the money.;)

swpoole

I have a new 2009 3410RE and I will certainly be keeping a close eye on the springs. Thanks for information. Sorry to hear you had this problem.

Steve:)

Pulltab

nscaler, that is a very interesting conversion and the hydraulic brakes is a really big plus! Sounds like a nice addition! Thanks for posting the price, that saves a lot of footwork. The price I do not feel is that outragious doing the hydraulic brakes on your own for 7000lbs axles can easily set you back $1600 :) and that would be doing the labor yourself.

aekisu

Dennis
There is another axle issue you should look into. The u-bolts holding the axle and springs together.

I just fixed a axle/spring issue where the axle slipped, causing an alignment problem. After replacing 2 tires that were worn down to the cord, and while fixing the problem, I noticed the u-bolts were not torqued to specs.

I torqued the u-bolts, drove about 8 miles and discovered the torque setting had again dropped below the recommended setting. Further research seems to indicate that loosing the torque setting is an expected problem. The recommended procedure is to:

Torque the u-bolts, drive 10 miles, retorque the bolts, drive 50 miles and retorque again. Sort of like torquing your wheel nuts.

aekisu

Dennis
I don't recall the actual axle name but they are on a 3055RL with 6000 pound axles using 1/2" diameter u-bolts. They are torqued to 70 pounds.

My suggestion is to get the name of your axle, the axle rating, check the size of the u-bolts and then contact the axle people and get their recommendation.

severed spring

Today, October 15, 2008, I was driving my Bighorn 3370RL, just a little over a year-old, down Highway 113 near Dixon California, and my right front spring severed in half causing the trailer to drop on the tires. I thought my tires were on fire there was so much smoke. To my surprise the leaf spring completely severed in half. The question is will the factory cover this, I thought the warranty was only one year dumper to bumper. If anyone knows please let me no.

Randy Blackwell

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Randy
I don't know how you will work out, but they covered mine because I was still in warranty. You might call Dave Brice @ Lippet, 866-524-7821 X-6068, davebi@lci1.com. You will need your VIN (only the last 8 digits), DOM (Date of Manufacturer), DOP (Date of Purchase), make and Model (Bighorn 3370RL). You should also contatct Heartland for Jim Fenner @ 574-262-8030.

Lots of Luck and let us know how you turn out..

dtvista

In putting covers on my tires this morning I notices very little distance between the top of the tire and the slide. Could this be a leaf spring problem or axles. This was is on the 3055 door side under the entertainment slide. The street slide was a little higher. Any suggestions

Thanks Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dave & Kathy
I don't know if you have the same problem that I did.. If I had looked at my springs I don't think I would have seen the broken spring. I think it had been broken for quite some time. If you springs are flat or bowed down I would have it checked as soon as possible. It would not hurt to have them checked out even if everything is normal. Saves you the problems that we had if you do have a problem.

Lots of luck..