Eternabond Tape on Slide Failure

Hi all. On my 2013 North Trail 28brs’s slide out roof the sealing tape is coming loose. I suppose the only fix would be to remove and replace it. If so, if you have experience doing this job please post how you did it. The local rv repair shop does not know what Eternabond is!

Thanks, Ray

Attachments

• 5D6796B3-D082-4748-9082-882E00E0D89C.jpg
    5D6796B3-D082-4748-9082-882E00E0D89C.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 02D75951-9284-4288-AAA1-E7666854B8D3.jpg
    02D75951-9284-4288-AAA1-E7666854B8D3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 96
  • 5F9E1363-AF8C-4EBF-A2C4-0BA76468342E.jpg
    5F9E1363-AF8C-4EBF-A2C4-0BA76468342E.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 95

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Ray,

I am not sure where in CA you are, but Starkey's RV Repair/Service in Ripon CA would be a great place to take it. He is fair, has reasonable prices and is extremely knowledgable.

Rod

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hi all. On my 2013 North Trail 28brs’s slide out roof the sealing tape is coming loose. I suppose the only fix would be to remove and replace it. If so, if you have experience doing this job please post how you did it. The local rv repair shop does not know what Eternabond is!

Thanks, Ray

Why mot just buy a roll of 4” Eternabond tape and DIY? Trim off the curled section, clean the area, and tape over it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldelmer1

Mine did the same thing, bought 4” Eternabond tape, pealed off the old, cleaned everything, and put new tape on.

wdk450

It is hard to believe there is a competent (RVIA Certified???) RV repairer who doesn't know about Eternabond tape. Tell him to Google it.

Dicor (the only RV rubber roof manufacturer) makes an equivilant roof tape product. Does your RV repairer know who Dicor is?

Mine did the same thing, bought 4” Eternabond tape, pealed off the old, cleaned everything, and put new tape on.
Did you heat the tape to remove it? Also, how did you clean where the tape was? There must have been residual glue to remove.

Thanks for your help, Ray

- - - Updated - - -

Ray,

I am not sure where in CA you are, but Starkey's RV Repair/Service in Ripon CA would be a great place to take it. He is fair, has reasonable prices and is extremely knowledgable.

Rod
Thanks. Ripon is about 54 miles away. If it was a bigger job I would consider that. Still might if I can’t repair it myself.

Ray

- - - Updated - - -

Why mot just buy a roll of 4” Eternabond tape and DIY? Trim off the curled section, clean the area, and tape over it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was my first thought but it doesn’t solve the lack of adhesion where the bubbles are. Thanks though.

mlburst1

Our slides all did the same - bubbled and uneven with debris underneath from sloppy workmanship at the factory.

I used a hair dryer to heat the original tape and carefully removed it all. Lots of patience since it takes a while to release the glue.

Eternabond sells a spray primer which I used after cleaning the slide roofs and then applied 6" Eternabond tape.

This was six years ago and the tape is still smooth and sealed.

oldelmer1

Ray,
I used a hair dryer also, then any glue that was left, I used goof off, then cleaned it with Clorox wipe.

I wiped it all down with alcohol before putting the new tape on.

WillyBill

Dicor recommends final cleaning of their rubber roof membrane before applying sealant or tape with acetone. It worked great when I installed a new Bath Skylight two years ago.

WB