Dead Battery - My Fault (I Think)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I store my 2009 2900MK at my son's house. We used it last weekend and returned it to storage Sunday night. When I checked it yesterday the battery was 100% dead:(. The radio wouldn't even turn on. I looked for possible switches we (I) had left on and discoved the the furnace was still in the "on" position. This was the only switch that wasn't off so I assume this caused the battery to drain completely down:confused:. I plugged it into a 15amp circuit (the only power currently available at my son's house - 30 amp coming soon:)) and everything started working except the radio (I assume that is because the Jenson radio is strictly 12v and doesn't use incoming AC converted to DC like the other systems do). Do my assumptions appear to be valid and will the incoming 15 amp power recharge the battery in the 5er? If so, how long should that take? Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Boat, your battery should charge up just fine on a 15 amp service. Make a to-do list when you park the coach after use. Just remember that there are somethings that can drain your battery when not plugged into shore power. Some are radio's, the heater, auto roof vents and the fridge. Bob:D:D:eek:

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Sorry to hear about your battery. Chances are that your shore power hook-up will recharge it OK (even 15 amp circuit) in a few hours since you are dealing with a fairly new battery. To prevent the battery from discharging, I disconnect the battery terminal leads when I don't plan on using the RV. The battery will slowly lose charge all by itself when not connected with a charger, of course this happens quicker if an electrical user is left "on" or hot wired to the battery. I also have a Sundance, and wish that it had a battery disconnect to simplify this process. It is not hard to add a disconnect and is on my list of "to-do's". I also intend on getting a solar battery charger that will keep the battery charged via a trickle charge rate. Good Luck.

boatto5er

Thanks for the quick replys. The battery quick disconnect has definitely been added to my list of things to add on/modify over the winter:).

boatto5er

All's Well Now

My son disconnected the AC power this afternoon and everything was working fine off the battery, so it looks like we're back to normal (unless I go down in a couple of days and it's dead again:(). Thanks for the feedback - this is such a great forum. Off to the Massaponax KOA this weekend for a quick overnighter with the DW and grandson:).