fresh water pump cycling

Jimnkarens

My water pump does pump water from the fresh water tank but when water faucet is not on, the pump runs on and off every five seconds. I've checked for water leaks and found none. I removed the clear filter basket to check for a clog, found it clear.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

danemayer

Hi Jim,

The pump has an internal check valve that sometimes gets stuck slightly open. After the pump builds pressure in the line and shuts off, if some of the water flows backward through the pump, the pressure switch will be relaxed and the pump will cycle. Adding a press-on check valve to the suction side of the water pump would fix this.

A similar backward flow can also leak through the 4-way Anderson Valve cartridge. A torn o-ring can produce a leak. You can pull the cartridge to inspect it.

Also, a crack in the clear strainer bowl on the pump can be a cause.

dieseldog

Mine did that. The check valve was allowing the pressure to bleed off the pump and caused it to cycle every few seconds. Being as the pump itself is fine, I installed a new inline check valve from Lowes. Problem solved.

Jimnkarens

Hi Jim,

The pump has an internal check valve that sometimes gets stuck slightly open. After the pump builds pressure in the line and shuts off, if some of the water flows backward through the pump, the pressure switch will be relaxed and the pump will cycle. Adding a press-on check valve to the suction side of the water pump would fix this.

A similar backward flow can also leak through the 4-way Anderson Valve cartridge. A torn o-ring can produce a leak. You can pull the cartridge to inspect it.

Also, a crack in the clear strainer bowl on the pump can be a cause.

Dan, thank you. I'll try that.
BTW, are you related to Jack Mayer who has a place in Retama Village?

- - - Updated - - -

Mine did that. The check valve was allowing the pressure to bleed off the pump and caused it to cycle every few seconds. Being as the pump itself is fine, I installed a new inline check valve from Lowes. Problem solved.

Dieseldog, Thank you. I will try to replace the check valve.