Bighorn flooring- Structurwood = OSB board

BigBlue

BigBlue
I am. My floor in the kitchen is coming up already (bought my Landmark in April, 05). I tried to glue it down but it's come back up.

arisce

In the Big Horn construction site it mentions Weyerhauser floor that is better than plywood or OSB. In the above site it concerns talk about OSB. If we do not have OSB or plywood then what do we have. I am concerned also. I think people should post the whole story to avoid worries. Big Blue exactly what happened to your floor and what does the dealer think? I do not like to hear this is what happened to my rig without some background. I do not want to offend but I read all posts and I am concerned. Only the owners of Heartland products can give us the correct time on all issues and concerns. Scott is trying to answer our questions and it is incumbent upon us to help him and fellow owners with "the rest of the story". Thanks!

Scott

Structurwood

I went to that forum and the "MegaDodge" guy has it right. Weyerhauser Structurwood is top notch. For years it carried that 25 year warranty that he mentions. When Weyerhauser got bought out, the big wigs decided to do away with the 25-year warranty... and do you know what they told me that reason was? They said, "We just haven't had any warranty claims on it in all these years.." I tried to convince them to keep it as a PR move only - but the said everybody else in the lumber industry had a one year warranty and that was all they needed, especially since they didn't have any claims.

As I have stated before, it was the floor of choice in 45' motorhomes that are built on diesel chassis meant to last decades.
We have NEVER had any problems with it - at Heartland or my previous company.

Because it is laminated with smaller pieces of wood - it technically IS an "O.S.B." - but it just doesn't compare with the cheap, low-grade OSB boards that typically are found in the home industry.

By the way, Weyerhauser Structurwood cost more than regular OSB - why? if it's built the same way.

It really is good stuff. Now, if it gets wet for long enough period of time, it will begin to come apart - it will just take a lot longer than normal plywood or OSB.

ST

BigBlue

BigBlue
arisce
Our kitchen floor came up at the joint between the kitchen floor linoleum and the carpet. It hasn't got wet or anything that would have caused it. I'm not sure why it's come up. It is not just the linoleum but the wood beneath it has come up also.
I haven't been to the dealer yet so I don't have his comments.

BigBlue said:
arisce
Our kitchen floor came up at the joint between the kitchen floor linoleum and the carpet. It hasn't got wet or anything that would have caused it. I'm not sure why it's come up. It is not just the linoleum but the wood beneath it has come up also.
I haven't been to the dealer yet so I don't have his comments.

Looking at other threads of this forum....it might be that the water sloshing around and out of your fresh water tank is causing your flooring to fall apart...hmmmmm?
Weyerhauser has been making osb under differentnames for over 20 years....used to call it OXboard as well and was supposedly suitable for exterior uses...no different than Structurewood....

Scott

Water tanks and osb

FYI - the water sloshing out of the tanks they are talking about is when water sloshes out of one of the overflow vents which is basically a tube that runs outside of the coach - so those of you who are wondering if water is getting in the underbelly - no, it is not. There are four overflow tubes on the fresh water tank to keep the tank from swelling too large if someone just hooks up the hose and walks away.

As for the Weyerhaueser - I've given you the information on this at least half a dozen times on this forum - so maybe you can look up all of the posts. For the record, believe it or not, all OSBs are NOT the same. There are different kinds of wood and more importantly, different kinds of adhesives uses to laminated them together. Some are MUCH more resistant to water and moisture and that is what makes the Structurwood a better, more expensive product that other types of OSB.

ST

svd

When we first looked at Bighorns, I was wondered about this too. When I checked some other manufacturer sites, I found the very same description for a one piece OSB floor.
Steve

phranc

Scott.. Just as follow up .We went down to the Suffern NY show this past weekend and picked up a brochure from Beaver Coach. I see they use the same structure board as does Heartland . If it's good enough for Beaver (monaco) at $240.000 to $500,00 then it's good enough for me, and should be good enough for anybody..