Fire Extinguisher Holder

Eric1234

Hi everyone

I mounted a fire extinguisher in the propane compartment on the drivers side of the trailer. Maybe it'll help someone else wanting to be more prepared. I did the drivers side as for easy access to the extinguisher while in transit because large percentage of RV fires occur during traveling. The extinguisher holder is made by Pitpal and i just drilled two holes through the holder and the wall and mounted with nylon locking nuts. A maintenance note, make sure to use a mallet and hit the bottom of the extinguisher once in a while as the powder will clump up in the extinguisher.

have a good day

Eric

http://www.pitpal.com/holders/flames-fire-extinguisher-holder-5-lb/

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 59
  • close up fire extinguisher holder.jpg
    close up fire extinguisher holder.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 54

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I wanted to mount one in my propane tank closet, but there really isn't enough room.

I do have one mounted just inside both basement side doors, though.

Lynn1130

I would have room for this but I would be concerned about having it close to what could turn out to be the fire location. It would also be within several feet of the generator which could be another fire source.

wdk450

I haven't heard of fires starting in the propane compartment, would wonder if there was a fire there if it would be too big for any portable fire extinguisher. Something like 90% of towable RV fires are in the ammonia refrigerator compartment. I would say if fire is a big concern #1 have a self-deploying Halon extinguisher in the ammonia refrigerator outside compartment (if that is the type of refrigerator you have), #2 put the same sort of self deploying halon extinguisher in the generator compartment (if you have a built-in generator), #3 re-enforce your propane flex line to the kitchen slide from road debris or exploding tires (see: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/31047-Reducing-Kitchen-Slide-Propane-Fire-Risk ), and #4 install a self deploying halon extinguisher in the propane bottle compartment.

RVCoolingUnitWarehouse.com has the self deploying halon extinguishers. and the prices have come down about $40, $215 for the cheapest one.
https://rvcoolingunit.com/Halon-Fire-Extinguishers-C243521.aspx?sid=298

On Edit: One last note on the ammonia refrigerators fire risk: This has been a MAJOR concern of the RV ammonia refrigerator manufacturers and MUCH has been done over the last 30 years to mitigate the fire risk. There have been MAJOR upgrade recalls of the existing units, adding fuseable links in the 12 volt power source wiring on the rear of the refrigerator near the boiler to cut off the 12 volt DC power to the refrigerator when the link is melted by flame. The loss of 12 volt DC power closes the spring return propane gas solenoid valve shutting off the propane fuel to the refrigerator/fire. The AC power to the heating elements is also shut off. Most all of the refrigerator fires we hear about are older units that never got the recall upgrades. You don't hear/see these events as often as we used to.

BTW, I opted for 1 self deploying halon extinguisher in the refrigerator external compartment, doing the slide flex propane hose physical beef-up, a replacement much larger dry powder extinguisher near the entrance door, moved the smaller extinguisher near the stovetop, and added an apartment-style emergency chain ladder and accessories near the bedroom window.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless it's an auto-deploy type of extinguisher (like mentioned), having a manual extinguisher in the propane compartment does not sound like a good idea. Consider what a pressure-fed propane fire might be like and do you want to reach into the cabinet to get the extinguisher out of the bracket. Unless you can shut off the source of fuel, a gas fed fire will easily reignite.

Mount your manual extinguishers in a spot least likely to be the initial seat of a fire so you can get to it quickly and safely. Even if you could reach into the propane cabinet, that extinguisher may be too hot to hold.

Eric1234

All good advice, the extinguisher in the propane compartment is only one of several on the trailer and truck. Its all part of our fire safety plan from escape routes to smoke alarms. My mounting location may not work for you but I encourage everyone to develop their own emergency plans and be prepared.

Eric

NYSUPstater

Just for laughs here, but years ago, I was told that a fuel tanker driver was asked where his extinguisher was. His reply " See that tanker/trailer? If that catches on fire, the extinguisher isn't gonna do me any good....I'm running away from it".