Short bed and Anderson Ultimate

Kornbred

Any RW owners pulling with a short bed and Anderson Ultimate? I have a 2015 Ram 3500 duality Mega an and considering purchase of a 429. Just researching whether the Anderson will work!
Thanks!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Re: Short bed and Anderson Uptimate

Just do some research. I seem to be seeing more and more of these posts citing the Andersen Hitch failing.

ekbRUTNl.jpg

avvidclif

That picture shows the connection box to the rear which put all the pin weight on the back of the hitch. I wonder what the pin weight was and the circumstances. It appears to be a goose-neck hookup.

More info please

Kornbred

That picture shows the connection box to the rear which put all the pin weight on the back of the hitch. I wonder what the pin weight was and the circumstances. It appears to be a goose-neck hookup.

More info please

The one I use currently is a gooseneck hookup also and installs as shown on that pic. Mine is rated 24,000 lbs GTWR and 4500 lbs tongue weight. I was more questioning truck cab to cap corner clearance and how those that are using them have the adapter turned.

avvidclif

I didn't comment on clearance as mine is a long bed and clearance is not a problem. My adapter is the opposite of the one in the picture.

I can see what happened in the picture if the RV was buried up in mud and the TV on solid ground and at an angle. The immovable object and the irresistible force meeting at the hitch. That's why I asked for more info on what happened and how.

FWIW that's the first mention I can remember of an Andersen failure. It seems I would have heard of more if it were common as I've been semi-watching those hitches since they came out.

Fox

Other than Andersons destructive testing I've not seen this either.
Would you provide more sources?

The adapter is mounted as shown (facing forward) with a short bed, rotated to the rear position with a long bed.

Eric1234

Our previous truck was a shortbed F350. We did not have a single issue and like the hitch. Never hit the cab, light weight and easy to take out. Everyone else I have spoken with that has the Andersen hitch is happy. I am not aware of anyone who has the Andersen switching back traditional fifth wheel hitch.

just my opinion for what it’s worth

have a good night

Eric

For20hunter

Would you provide more sources?

I seen it on several forums over the past couple years and so yesterday when I posted those pictures, I just did a google search for "Andersen Hitch Failure" and multiple websites came up. I then just copied and pasted it from this website.

Rod

CoveredWagon

I seen it on several forums over the past couple years and so yesterday when I posted those pictures, I just did a google search for "Andersen Hitch Failure" and multiple websites came up. I then just copied and pasted it from this website.

Rod

At least two of those pictures appear to be the same hitch failure taken from different positions.

I have one and wouldn’t trade it for any other hitch.

For20hunter

At least two of those pictures appear to be the same hitch failure taken from different positions.

I have one and wouldn’t trade it for any other hitch.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of or into anything. I was just throwing the information out there.

Rod

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

There was a recent crash (maybe two weeks ago) where the Anderson Ultimate hitch failed on someone's first pull with it and their 5'ver crashed into the back of the truck cab and they crashed into an enclosed trailer in front of them...

I'm trying to locate the link to that story, although where I saw it originally it has been deleted.

JohnD

There was a recent crash (maybe two weeks ago) where the Anderson Ultimate hitch failed on someone's first pull with it and their 5'ver crashed into the back of the truck cab and they crashed into an enclosed trailer in front of them...

I'm trying to locate the link to that story, although where I saw it originally it has been deleted.

It is at the Toy Hauler Fans Facebook page (I bumped the story to the top):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/722407611105844/

JohnD

I can't see it unless I join the group.

I know...

There was another link that was out in the open...

But someone took it down and I can't find another.

I'll cut and paste and post the photos later...running an errand right now but will be home in a couple of hours!

Lynn1130

I cannot recall for sure but I think that photo relating to a case of not stopping fast enough when the vehicle in front of him stopped. That shifted the entire weight of the trailer forward at some pretty good G-force. So you have to wonder if a standard hitch would not have pulled from the bed and perhaps twisted/collapsed/ who knows what.

I have a short bed, and have had no issues with turns. I have plenty of room to turn and can pull a 90+ if necessary but try to avoid those.

CarterKraft

In the failure that yall are discussing the ball also sheared off the mount and broke one safety chain eye bolt.

Try this link for the actual post.

They have a different version but It looks to me like they simply rear ended the truck in front of them which lead to the trailer hitch failure and subsequent damage. I don't worry so much about the hitch crumpling as that will absorb energy and lessen the impact. The area of concern is the ball failure and eye bolt ring. Both of those items are sized for this exact scenario and one/both failed.

I believe in most cases hitch damage in a accident is expected, separation would be less than desirable.

orion7144

That picture also shows a pin box that is specifically outlined in the manual for the Andersen as not compatible.

CarterKraft

That picture also shows a pin box that is specifically outlined in the manual for the Andersen as not compatible.

The driver of the rig stated he had the lockout (edit: the pictures show the hitch was locked out with Andersen labeled brackets) for the roto-flex installed, does that satisfy the Andersen folks?
Can you tell if he in fact did have it installed?

I don't even have a 5er hitch or a 5er so it doesn't much matter to me but I have suggested to some friends as a option for people that use there Gooseneck ball often and don't want to wrestle with a B&W companion or similar. I was really surprised to see the ball had broken off, the hitch failing like I said is not surprising and I think a side benefit if there is such a thing.

avvidclif

In the failure that yall are discussing the ball also sheared off the mount and broke one safety chain eye bolt.

Try this link for the actual post.

They have a different version but It looks to me like they simply rear ended the truck in front of them which lead to the trailer hitch failure and subsequent damage. I don't worry so much about the hitch crumpling as that will absorb energy and lessen the impact. The area of concern is the ball failure and eye bolt ring. Both of those items are sized for this exact scenario and one/both failed.

I believe in most cases hitch damage in a accident is expected, separation would be less than desirable.

That is a different picture than the one shown originally and it involved an accident. The original picture showed a rear leg bent, not a front. In an accident all bets are off. I also agree with you about the sequence of events. The crash and then the failure.

FWIW 3 car lengths is not a safe following distance at 55 MPH for a vehicle by itself much less with a 15k trailer behind it.

Hi Kornbred,
I have a similar setup as you, a 2007 Dodge Ram Meg 3500 4x4 shorted. Did you end up buying the Anderson? If so how are the cab clearances?
what gooseneck turnover ball system do you have?
Thanks,
blazerjohn