RVLock Moderator Help Request

I recently bought and installed a set of replacement hardware kits for my baggage slam latches - screws & strike plates (made request through customer service and Tasha assisted me with my order). Like the ones in this photo with deep buckets (red square):

EJhpbkwl.jpg

Whoever originally installed the strike plates didn't want to bore out the aluminum channel below so they would fit properly and simply ground off the bottom of the strike plate "bucket". I went to my local RV shop and looked around and the ones they had available and those on all their new units were much shallower and would not allow the latch bolt to extend fully with the door closed. Like the ones in this photo:

lUhWMUSl.jpg

So...here is my dilemma.

The cut out buckets created an entry point for water and resulted in some corrosion below the strike plates. I wanted to eliminate this problem and replaced with the new strike plates I had ordered and all was well until about a week ago when I went out to retrieve something from the baggage compartment and all but one of the strike plates had rusted water in the bucket and the zinc plating had degraded to a very dull grey. The environment here in SE Texas is horrible for rust and corrosion, but this was ridiculous.

Anyway, I would prefer not to buy another set and try to get by with painting them...so I sent Tasha a note about talking to someone in engineering or design about getting some made in stainless steel. All I got back was "I'm sorry but we don't have any".

I can't be the first person to ask about them being in a more corrosion resistant material? If I am...would it be possible to get some information about what it would take to get some made...either from your manufacturer or locally with drawing specs?

Thanks in advance for any attention this thread receives!!

jbeletti

In my experience, there isn't much in the way of SS hardware used in the towable RV industry. It would be nice - but it just isn't done much.

As an alternative to painting, consider sending them out to be powder coated.