LED under-trailer lighting

kbausano

Has anyone ever successfully used multi-color LED rope lights, rather than LED strips, for underbelly lighting while parked? I’ve seen these particular lights on sale at our local Costco yesterday. Thoughts?

Ken

a01e1e22d0191caff8d090f2a89e91f6.jpg
049aed9c11e1afea7910ced83ae1d3ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a couple strings of 110v rope lights from Lowe’s under ours that I plug into the switched outdoor receptacle. Not real bright but bright enough for ambience and are not on a flasher
They’re mounted such that most of the illumination is downward rather than outward so as not to infringe on the neighbors

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Has anyone ever successfully used multi-color LED rope lights, rather than LED strips, for underbelly lighting while parked? I’ve seen these particular lights on sale at our local Costco yesterday. Thoughts?

Ken

Yes, I have Blue LEDs under my coach & they work great. I mounted them with 1/2" rope light channel pvc ( link below ). I used construction adhesive to mount the channel track where I wanted the lights. They are plugged into an electric timer up thru the bottom of my UDC that automatically turns them on/off. After I completed the mounting, I then painted the "outside" of the channel track black, to keep from shining outwards, so as to not disturb any neighbors. It results in a very nice glow ambience under the coach

.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSMXCV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CoveredWagon

Yes, I have Blue LEDs under my coach & they work great. I mounted them with 1/2" rope light channel pvc ( link below ). I used construction adhesive to mount the channel track where I wanted the lights. They are plugged into an electric timer up thru the bottom of my UDC that automatically turns them on/off. After I completed the mounting, I then painted the "outside" of the channel track black, to keep from shining outwards, so as to not disturb any neighbors. It results in a very nice glow ambience under the coach

.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSMXCV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DO NOT DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS . Heck I could see the all the way from FL. 😂

mornin Bill how’s the weather, it’s summer here 😉

"Hi-Viz" Bill

DO NOT DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS . Heck I could see the all the way from FL. 😂

mornin Bill how’s the weather, it’s summer here 😉

Hi Dave!! Well .. Awoke this morning at 545, to 30º and SNOW covered grass!! :mad: .. Sayin ' 2' to 4" tonight :mad::mad::mad::mad: ... Relief insight though, Leave for AZ 2 wks from today !!

Oldelevatorman

I had that idea too Ken after I saw what others had done at Jackson. I need a flagpole as well. Winter projects to get done before heading to Tucson in January!

CoveredWagon

Hi Dave!! Well .. Awoke this morning at 545, to 30º and SNOW covered grass!! :mad: .. Sayin ' 2' to 4" tonight :mad::mad::mad::mad: ... Relief insight though, Leave for AZ 2 wks from today !!

Lets hope the snow is gone by then and the roads southwest are clear and dry. Safe travels to you and Sue.

Eric1234

Hi Ken

at work on the the new pierce engines we have, whenever you apply the air brakes there are LED ground lights that go on all around the truck. It’s on my list of mods, I would like to copy that design to the trailer so when the parking brake is applied led ground lights will come on below the trailer.

have a good night

eric

chiefneon

Howdy!

We use the led rope lights to keep away unwanted guest (nice, rates etc...) as we have picked up these Critters in the past.

I would like to permanently install the rope lights under our Cyclone TH. My question is when you installed the channels under you RV that holds the rope lights are they secure enough to hole them during travel? Are do you have to remove them before traveling? We fulltime so it would be nice not to have to remove them every time we move.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Howdy!

I would like to permanently install the rope lights under our Cyclone TH. My question is when you installed the channels under you RV that holds the rope lights are they secure enough to hole them during travel? Are do you have to remove them before traveling? We fulltime so it would be nice not to have to remove them every time we move.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

Well, since I installed them, I've only traveled about 50 miles with the RV. I did not remove the lights from the channel. The REAL test will be in apx 10 days when we leave MI, to winter in AZ (about 2150 mi). But, I will say, that the construction adhesive is holding the channels REALLY firm, so far. IF everything holds together, as I expect it will, I will update you near the end of Nov, when we arrive in AZ.

chiefneon

Well, since I installed them, I've only traveled about 50 miles with the RV. I did not remove the lights from the channel. The REAL test will be in apx 10 days when we leave MI, to winter in AZ (about 2150 mi). But, I will say, that the construction adhesive is holding the channels REALLY firm, so far. IF everything holds together, as I expect it will, I will update you near the end of Nov, when we arrive in AZ.

Howdy!

Bill, thanks I would appreciate the update when you can.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

Mark-Roberta 051995

We purchased some small LED that came with 3M tape on them (40' long). They work great with multi-colored LED's that flash, fade or stay on one color. I use the remote to turn off at night as to not bother anyone. I did put them on as bright as possible, had them flashing and I was playing Saturday Night Fever while doing my best John Travolta dance - was not a pretty site and was told to tone it down and put the lights on low blue and to take off those white bell bottom pants. The wife is straight forward but you gotta love her :)

IMG_4899.jpg

"Hi-Viz" Bill

We purchased some small LED that came with 3M tape on them (40' long). They work great with multi-colored LED's that flash, fade or stay on one color.

Yeah, I tried those at first. But, they started to dis-bond from the frame and had a few spots go out. So, I turned to the rope lights, and have not had any issues since!!

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Howdy!

Bill, thanks I would appreciate the update when you can.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

Hey "Chief" !!!

I'm happy to report that the rope light channels I installed on the Landmark frame, using const adhesive, held on beautifully. Everything is in working order, after the 2,110 mile trip from MI to AZ !!!

CoveredWagon

Hey "Chief" !!!

I'm happy to report that the rope light channels I installed on the Landmark frame, using const adhesive, held on beautifully. Everything is in working order, after the 2,110 mile trip from MI to AZ !!!

Glad you made it safe and ? Enjoy the winter 😉

chiefneon

Hey "Chief" !!!

Howdy!

Outstanding, I’mgoing to Order some and install my lights.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

MP_CS

I installed my led rope lights using these plastic clamps utilizing the existing self tapping screws holding up the coroplast. I did have to add a few additional screws where necessary
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-12-Pack-Plastic-Full-Clamp/3013247

I installed blue rope lights with the same type of plastic cable clamps using the factory coroplast self tapping screws as you did. Its been going on 4yrs now and they still work and are in position.

chiefneon

Hey "Chief" !!!

Howdy!

Bill, I purchased the channels to install the rope lights under my Cyclone 5er. My question is did you use double sided tape or the Construction type adhesive that comes in a caulking type tube.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon