Another Weight Question?

wagenman

I am sorry if this has been asked already, I looked back through some of the older posts and did not see anything specific to what I was looking for. If there is a thread for this already please guide me to where it is and I will repost there... thanks

Ok, so the question I have is the different weights that every truck and trailer mention.

First off I own a 2003 F250 crew cab 4x4 7.3 power stroke. I just bought a Sundance 2998RB.

I see some people say to look at the GVWR and some say to look at the tow weight. My question is the difference?

My trailer is listed at GVWR of 11,800lbs- dry weight of 9,515lbs and a hitch weight of 1,700lbs

I have looked in several locations online to find several different answers to what my truck should be towing but the tags in the door jam say this.
GVWR 8800lbs.. now I have to assume that is only the truck..

In the Owners guide that came with the truck (it is the wrong one, its for the 6.0) it says that my max trailer weight is 10,600lbs.. so that tells me that if I take just the dry weight of the trailer I am almost at my towing limits...

I guess my overall question is what are the numbers I should be looking at? And should I be concerned? I do not tow with water in my tanks but do haul a lot of gear...

Thank you for your experience and help in advance...

Wagenman

JimandSina

According to the 2003 Towing guide compiled by Chris hemer at http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/03towingguide.pdf the 2003 Ford F-250 with either Manual or Automatic Transmission has a tow capacity of 12500 - 12700Lbs with the following caveats

The 6.0-liter diesel engine replaces the 7.3-liter Power Stroke diesel engine effective
with fall 2002 production. Tow-rating differences between the two engines
are within 100 lb on trucks; there are no differences on Excursion models.

*Manufacturers note: For F-250/350 single rear-wheel (SRW) models, F-350
maximum trailer weights are shown. F-250 trailer weights are within 100 lb, except
for the F-250 SRW 4WD Crew cab applications indicated above. For these
applications, maximum loaded-trailer weight is 10,400 lb.

Hope this helps
Jim

wagenman

Thanks for the reply.. it is not what I wanted to hear but helpful..lol

It looks like the tag in the door jam is within a few hundred pounds of that web site (tag says 10,600lbs).. and that tells me that my trailer weighing in at 9515lbs dry i only have about 1,000lbs of cargo I can add..

The GVWR on my trailer is 11,900lbs, dry is only 9515lbs.. what is the difference in the ratings? Is that just water and cargo or just cargo?

JimandSina

wagenman,
The difference between the GVWR and the Dry Weight is just as you say, anything you put in it whether it is water, propane, milk (Beer, ummmm.) yourself, clothing, food, & etc... all add to the attainment of reaching GVWR, as a side note, most folks will be overloaded sooner or later, the fact is we humans tend to collect stuff and those rigs will hold a lot and the old diesel truck will just keep pulling, it is a good idea to get your truck weighed with full fuel and passengers and then get the rig weighed on and off the truck, you can usually find public scales at truck stops like Flying J, Loves, TA, and such. good luck and happy camping
Jim