Singling out a dualy

NYSUPstater

Has anyone ever done this for the winter? Only thing I tow is a 4 place V-nose snowmobile trailer that weighs maybe 4300 w/ sleds. Haven't really seen anything as to how/what to use or is it even safe to do. Just thinking if I could, it would be better for traction in the snow.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Has anyone ever done this for the winter? Only thing I tow is a 4 place V-nose snowmobile trailer that weighs maybe 4300 w/ sleds. Haven't really seen anything as to how/what to use or is it even safe to do. Just thinking if I could, it would be better for traction in the snow.

I always wondered about that....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about any benefits from doing that, but I did see a person with 2 wheels removed from their dually and it was the dumbest looking thing on the road.

Peace
Dave

NYSUPstater

I don't know about any benefits from doing that, but I did see a person with 2 wheels removed from their dually and it was the dumbest looking thing on the road.

Peace
Dave

I don't care how dumb it may look, more concerned w/ traction and weight on 2 tires instead of spread over 4.

JWalker

I saw a Ford early 2000‘s dually sitting at a supermarket parking lot with just the outside duals on. It looked like they had the inside rims on with no tires. That is the first I’ve ever seen one. This was a year or so ago.

Both DRW’s that I have had were somewhat worthless in the snow in 2wd.

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Over the years I’ve seen a couple converted to SRW for whatever reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

with duel rear wheels the snow or mud will get filled up between duels and will stop tires from getting traction. If you remove the inner tires there track is wider than the front and runs in different path then the front which makes it more stable. When I was younger and worked in salvage yards that is what we did to the yard wreckers to get around in the mud and snow in fields getting car parts. with duel rear wheels would get stuck a lot easer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While we don’t typically get snow up to out keisters around here, when I have had to drive in several inches of it, 4WH seems to work just fine.

hoefler

While we don’t typically get snow up to out keisters around here, when I have had to drive in several inches of it, 4WH seems to work just fine.

I do pretty much the same, just engage front wheel drive and go.

david-steph2018

This is our 3rd dually, first with 4 wheel drive. We live in Central Ohio and since 2005 until 2017 was the 2 wheel drive 3500 Rams. I was stuck 3 times in the snow, but it was over 10 inches. I always just threw in 1500-2000 lbs in the bed and went on. I would buy bags of water softer salt (or firewood) in November and leave it in the bed until spring then I had salt for the year for the house. Before I retired on Sept 1 my drive to work was 42 miles one way on a 2 lane state route (42).

Two of the times I was stuck was off road on the prison farms in the 1/2 mile long driveway at 3 am. The other time I slide off our drive into the yard against a tree and could not move front or back.

JWalker

Mike, just throw on a good set of M/T tires and hit the road. LOL

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Of course, being now fully retired, there’s no reason for me to drive in deep snow anymore.

NYSUPstater

Well we got our 1st decent snowfall last Thu-Fri and can say Thumper really didn't like it. She went thru it: 2wd and either a awlful lot of spinning and fishtailing, 4wd went thru it, but could tell she was fightin' it. On the hiway, she was ok at best. HAD to be carful w/ gas peddle as she would want to kick out/fishtail very easily.