Winterize

danemayer

Hi dafpmway,

We have an owner-written Winterization User Guide that includes detailed instructions on winterizing the washing machine. It also covers the Dometic RM1350 refrigerator. If you have a different Dometic model, or a Norcold refrigerator, their respective manuals contain instructions on the refrigerator itself. If you have a Residential Refrigerator like you'd find in your sticks and bricks home, consult the Residential Refrigerator user guide.

dafpmway

ATF: Bighorn - Winterize

I am getting ready to winterize my 2018 Big Horn for the first time. I know you open sink faucets etc. until the anti freeze comes through but I have a washer and water dispenser in the refrigerator door. How do you do those?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I am getting ready to winterize my 2018 Big Horn for the first time. I know you open sink faucets etc. until the anti freeze comes through but I have a washer and water dispenser in the refrigerator door. How do you do those?

Can’t address the water dispenser, but if you look in the manual for the washer, you should find instructions to operate it while pumping AF via the water pump.

You cannot winterize a washing machine by blowing air pressure into the plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgia_Biker

Hi dafpmway,

We have an owner-written Winterization User Guide that includes detailed instructions on winterizing the washing machine. It also covers the Dometic RM1350 refrigerator. If you have a different Dometic model, or a Norcold refrigerator, their respective manuals contain instructions on the refrigerator itself. If you have a Residential Refrigerator like you'd find in your sticks and bricks home, consult the Residential Refrigerator user guide.

Hey Dan-

I have never had to winterize my Big Horn but, it has been in the shop for an extended period of time - I hope to get it out soon but, I need advice on "De-winterizing" is there a manual for that procedure - did not see one

danemayer

Hey Dan-

I have never had to winterize my Big Horn but, it has been in the shop for an extended period of time - I hope to get it out soon but, I need advice on "De-winterizing" is there a manual for that procedure - did not see one

Larry, there's a little info starting on p7 of the guide. But it's pretty straightforward. If you used compressed air to winterize, you mainly have to make sure the water heater anode rod is ok and back in place. Leave the water heater bypassed.

If you winterize with antifreeze, hook up to city water and make sure the water heater and UDC controls are back to normal. Run a little city water through the various fixtures to get rid of most of the antifreeze. If you have a washing machine, you need to purge the antifreeze from the water lines to the washer by running several cycles on Permanent Press/Warm mode. Run until it stops filling the drum, then stop and switch to drain mode. May take 3 or 4 cycles. If no washer, you need to push the antifreeze out the washer prep faucets. Either catch in a bucket or run a short piece of hose from the faucet to the drain.

After all that, put water in the fresh tank and then pump that water through the pump and out each fixture including the outside shower.

After all the antifreeze is out of the system, un-bypass the water heater and fill it. Open the pressure relief valve while filling so you know when it's full.

Georgia_Biker

Larry, there's a little info starting on p7 of the guide. But it's pretty straightforward. If you used compressed air to winterize, you mainly have to make sure the water heater anode rod is ok and back in place. Leave the water heater bypassed.

If you winterize with antifreeze, hook up to city water and make sure the water heater and UDC controls are back to normal. Run a little city water through the various fixtures to get rid of most of the antifreeze. If you have a washing machine, you need to purge the antifreeze from the water lines to the washer by running several cycles on Permanent Press/Warm mode. Run until it stops filling the drum, then stop and switch to drain mode. May take 3 or 4 cycles. If no washer, you need to push the antifreeze out the washer prep faucets. Either catch in a bucket or run a short piece of hose from the faucet to the drain.

After all that, put water in the fresh tank and then pump that water through the pump and out each fixture including the outside shower.

After all the antifreeze is out of the system, un-bypass the water heater and fill it. Open the pressure relief valve while filling so you know when it's full.

As always many thanks for a complete description - I do have a washer and dryer and I was concerned about it. I also found a couple You Tube videos that helped.

See ya somewhere!