Tripod

Tom Cobb

What is the real purpose of the tripod I see being used under the pin on the hitch?:confused:

It doesn't seem to really have any effect on leveling since the from and rear jacks do that.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
It attempts to stabilize the unit adding one more point to the front landing legs and the rear stabilizers.

That being said, a tripod or a bi-pod will not be effective if you have a pin box that has air (like the Trail-Air) as this is a cushion that will allow movement.

I used a tripod with good results until I had a Trail Air pin box installed. Now it sits in the garage, waiting for an opportunity to be sold to someone who does not have the air-type pin box

Forrest Fetherolf

I found that the tripod hitch pin stabilizer worked very well with TrailAir hitch pin. TrailAir dampens vertical movement when traveling, the tripod reduces horizontal movement when stationary. Front landing jacks support all the front vertical load but are unstable horizontally; the tripod is designed to increase horizontal stability via hitch pin.
I did however install my version of front landing jack stabilizers, eliminating the need for the tripod. dtvista appreciated my tripod gift to him at the Vegas rally.
I switched to the landing jack stabilizers because they only weighed two pounds and are permanently mounted; the tripod had to be stored and attached each time.

Forrest

Tom Cobb

Thanks for your replies.

I have a 5th Airborne pin box. I haven't used a tripod yet since I haven't been out yet in my 5ver. We just got it about 10 days ago.

My son has the front landing jack stabilizers on his trailer. I will look into to those. One less thing to do an setup and teardown is a good thing.

wagenman

I also use the tripod on my 5er with great results..in fact we were out for just a real quick weekend trip last year with our old terry and I was to lazy to set mine up, after the first night and every time somebody rolled over you felt the trailer move I ended up putting it under the pin for the second night... they work well!!!

Fire123

You have a too big investment to rely on a few brackets and a couple of shear pins. To me, there is a lot of weight on them two legs. If one leg were to break, what are the chances the good leg will support the weight of the whole front end? My dad had a 5th wheel and always put out his tripod.

Tom Cobb

Have you or anyone else ever seen a 5ver front stabilizer jack break and cause the trailer to fall? For your info I doubt seriously a tripod would hold the wt if the front stab jack did break.

I like the idea of the JT Strong Arms rather than a tripod, if no other reason the convienence.

Thanks for your replies.

Fire123

Both jacks? No. One jack? yes! To finish the story, I was helping my dad set up his 5th wheel and after he pulled the truck out, the front left jack broke. He was just getting out of the truck. Sounded like a gunshot. The whole camper, all 37 feet of it, rocked to that corner. The corner came inches from hitting the ground. But the right jack held. Many 5vers who witnessed this came running over.
After changing our shorts, we managed to get the truck back onto the camper by gently raising the right one and then slamming the truck onto the hitch. He camped for 10 days until Fleetwood could get the new jacks shipped and then have them installed.
So will a tripod support the whole weight? Who knows. But can the extra support take some of the stress off the landing gear? Absolutely.
I always thought that was the idea behind the tripod.