2019 Torque T322 XLT

Hey guys new to the forum and to the camping deal. Just got me my first travel trailer and its a toy hauler Torque T322 XLT. Any tips you all can give me on it. Thanks

jimtoo

HI bushmaster007,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. If you have any questions we have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

hboy1

Welcome and Congratulations.

If you are to to RV's I would offer these tips:

If you don't already have one, install a battery disconnect switch. If you are not plugged in all the time, the battery will die trying to keep some 12v electronics going (like propane detector). In general you don't want to drain the batter more than half charge. If a full battery is 12.7 volts, don't drain it lower than 12.4 vols.

Don't totally trust the tank indicator lights. They can be a good indicator, but can be misleading. Especially if the sensors get covered. It's not uncommon for say the black tank to read 1/3 or 2/3 full after your have just drained and cleaned the tank. The sensors can be finicky. I don't loose sleep over that stuff. There are good products and other forums with productive ideas to clean the sensors.

Don't go crazy on modifications/upgrading stuff. These things cost a fortune and are constantly needing repair/maintenance/or something. Save your money for that stuff.

MaxxAir vent covers are worthwhile investments, however....

If you are storing the camper at your house, I recommend installing a RV plug and keep the trailer plugged in when not being used. At least a 30 amp RV plug so you can run an a/c and fridge when preparing for a trip. That will help keep your battery maintained.

If storing it offsite, I recommend covered storage.

I sanitize the fresh water system at least once a season. Maybe twice if it's been sitting without use. There are a lot of good videos on youtube about sanitizing the fresh water system. lots of good videos for winterizing too.

If warranty issues come up, I like to keep a running list and only take it in for warranty work only if necessary. It's not uncommon for the dealer to keep your trailer for weeks/months. When you pick it up, all the work may not even be finished.. I take it in for warranty work only when I don't have a trip planned for a couple months. If it's a do it yourself repair, I don't waste my time with the dealer.

Keep the tires inflated to the max PSI on the sidewall. In my opinion tires are the weak link on these trailers. A tire blow out can cause a few thousand in damage (or more) and leave you stranded. Even a new trailer tire can be a time bomb. Check your tires load and speed rating. I litterally have been passed by a travel trailer on the highway traveling over 70mph. That's not fast but it was a cheap camper probably with 65mph tires. 2 miles later they were parked on the side of the highway with a blown tire. I keep a tire budget funded at all times and seriously look at replacing the tires after 4 years. About the worst thing for trailer tires is to be parked, sitting, getting hard.... In my opinion, the more use the tires get, the better. The trailer tire blow out i've had was on a tire that looked almost new.

Our fridge takes about a day to really get cold. It's not uncommon for most RV fridges to take a while to operate normally.

Take your time. When we get rushed, there is more chance for a mistake to happen. My normal practice (now) is to take a few steps back and inspect the trailer before towing. Is the antenna down, awnings put in, stuff secured.... I've seen campers going down the highway with the antenna strait up, or stairs down... I've tried to drive off with the tires still chocked...

I would put your camper to the test during the warranty period. Travel with full tanks. Including fresh water. Water tanks can be installed poorly. If one fails, you sure want it to happen under warranty. It is normal for fresh water to spill out if the tank is full. If you see water spewing out the side of the camper when towing, don't freak. It's normal for the shushing fresh water to spill out the overflow tubes when moving.

Good luck!

Thanks!!!

Welcome and Congratulations.

If you are to to RV's I would offer these tips:

If you don't already have one, install a battery disconnect switch. If you are not plugged in all the time, the battery will die trying to keep some 12v electronics going (like propane detector). In general you don't want to drain the batter more than half charge. If a full battery is 12.7 volts, don't drain it lower than 12.4 vols.

Don't totally trust the tank indicator lights. They can be a good indicator, but can be misleading. Especially if the sensors get covered. It's not uncommon for say the black tank to read 1/3 or 2/3 full after your have just drained and cleaned the tank. The sensors can be finicky. I don't loose sleep over that stuff. There are good products and other forums with productive ideas to clean the sensors.

Don't go crazy on modifications/upgrading stuff. These things cost a fortune and are constantly needing repair/maintenance/or something. Save your money for that stuff.

MaxxAir vent covers are worthwhile investments, however....

If you are storing the camper at your house, I recommend installing a RV plug and keep the trailer plugged in when not being used. At least a 30 amp RV plug so you can run an a/c and fridge when preparing for a trip. That will help keep your battery maintained.

If storing it offsite, I recommend covered storage.

I sanitize the fresh water system at least once a season. Maybe twice if it's been sitting without use. There are a lot of good videos on youtube about sanitizing the fresh water system. lots of good videos for winterizing too.

If warranty issues come up, I like to keep a running list and only take it in for warranty work only if necessary. It's not uncommon for the dealer to keep your trailer for weeks/months. When you pick it up, all the work may not even be finished.. I take it in for warranty work only when I don't have a trip planned for a couple months. If it's a do it yourself repair, I don't waste my time with the dealer.

Keep the tires inflated to the max PSI on the sidewall. In my opinion tires are the weak link on these trailers. A tire blow out can cause a few thousand in damage (or more) and leave you stranded. Even a new trailer tire can be a time bomb. Check your tires load and speed rating. I litterally have been passed by a travel trailer on the highway traveling over 70mph. That's not fast but it was a cheap camper probably with 65mph tires. 2 miles later they were parked on the side of the highway with a blown tire. I keep a tire budget funded at all times and seriously look at replacing the tires after 4 years. About the worst thing for trailer tires is to be parked, sitting, getting hard.... In my opinion, the more use the tires get, the better. The trailer tire blow out i've had was on a tire that looked almost new.

Our fridge takes about a day to really get cold. It's not uncommon for most RV fridges to take a while to operate normally.

Take your time. When we get rushed, there is more chance for a mistake to happen. My normal practice (now) is to take a few steps back and inspect the trailer before towing. Is the antenna down, awnings put in, stuff secured.... I've seen campers going down the highway with the antenna strait up, or stairs down... I've tried to drive off with the tires still chocked...

I would put your camper to the test during the warranty period. Travel with full tanks. Including fresh water. Water tanks can be installed poorly. If one fails, you sure want it to happen under warranty. It is normal for fresh water to spill out if the tank is full. If you see water spewing out the side of the camper when towing, don't freak. It's normal for the shushing fresh water to spill out the overflow tubes when moving.

Good luck!

KyleC

Man you got the diamond in the rough. Don't think you could ask for a more through run down! I agree with all that was said.
Watch YouTube on what to do when getting to the destination about leveling the camper, hooking up hoses, frahwater hoses.
I also found it helpful to watch videos on how to properly dump the tanks. I bought mine used so I didn't have a rep showing me how to do it.

Kyle