Welcome Back Light Works but Comes on Intermittent with Door Closed

On our 2016 Bighorn 3270RS the welcome back light comes on when you open the door and closes after the appropriate time when the door is closed.

However, the light has recently started coming on intermittently with the door closed. The light will also flash intermittently.

I checked and the magnet is on the bottom of the door. There is no manual on/off switch that I can find.

I am unsure if the problem is with the KIB DTM904-2 module or the magnetic reed switch.

Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the fix? How did you identify the fix? I hate to just start changing parts.

Thanks for your input.

danemayer

You may have a switch that turns on the aisle light when the door is closed. If so, that switch overrides the Welcome Back module. You might take a look at the back side of the switch to see if there are any loose connections.

Attachments

• Welcome Back Light Block Diagram.pdf
    58.9 KB · Views: 48

Gary521

You may have a switch that turns on the aisle light when the door is closed. If so, that switch overrides the Welcome Back module. You might take a look at the back side of the switch to see if there are any loose connections.

Not exactly. The switch will turn on the light and turn off the light but will not override the module completely. There is no way to turn everything off. I have the same problem with the light. The light will come on and turn off in the middle of the night or whenever it feels like it. This happened on my last trip. I have not fixed this yet but my fix will be to disable the module completely. This feature has not worked properly since I bought the trailer new.

For a temporary fix, I cut the wire to the light - my sleep will be better.

Actually there is a switch for the hall light which is a different light than the welcome back light. That switch is turned off and has no impact on the welcome back light. Mine is probably intermittently putting on a light show sitting in my driveway right now.

danemayer

On our 2011 Landmark, there's a switch 1) on the light fixture, 2) in the control panel. If both of those are on, the light is on, regardless of what the door is doing. If the control panel switch is off, and the light fixture is on, the door/module turn the light on and off. If the switch on the light fixture is off, the light stays off.

Sounds like yours is a little different.

danemayer

The KIB module should have a timeout function that's fairly consistent. So if when you open the door, the light stays on for 30 seconds, or 60 seconds, that timeout should be about the same each time.

If when it comes on by itself, the duration varies wildly, I would guess it's a module problem.

If when it comes on by itself, the duration is the same as when the door is opened, I would guess the reed switch under the door is defective, or the wiring between reed switch and module has worn insulation and is intermittently touching ground.

dieseldogsdad

Just added Morryde stepabove steps to my Bighorn. Now my welcome back light doesn't work. I realize it works off of a magnet and you can see the magnet on the bottom of the door. I'm wondering is there a way to fix this to where it will work with these steps?

jbeletti

Just added Morryde stepabove steps to my Bighorn. Now my welcome back light doesn't work. I realize it works off of a magnet and you can see the magnet on the bottom of the door. I'm wondering is there a way to fix this to where it will work with these steps?
The magnet on the bottom of the door closes a switch that is either under the now removed threshold or in the floor. I wonder if the plate that covers that threshold area is keeping the magnet from activating the switch??

One idea might be to reconfigure your activation setup. Consider relocating the magnet to the inside screen door edge. Then obtain another switch and mount it on the wall/door trim and wire to the circuit.

Note that this product is from KIB. They are in Elkhart (website). Take a look also at the drawing at this link and also the document at this link.

Re: Welcome Back Light Does Not Work.

Hi.

In Australia: Just bought a 2008 build Landmark Oakmont.

There is an Aisle Switch in the switch cupboard. HOWEVER... there is also a 12V switch just inside the door on the bottom left about 6” above the floor on the wall that separates the Kitchen from the Living Room. Haven’t a clue what it does’or what it’s attached to. it has 12V. There is also a twin cable there as well with wires taped. Anybody have an idea what the switch is for? There is no step light outside unlike the smaller left hand side door. And the main steps are at the wheel arches & need to be lifted off to move vehicle—have no idea if this is standard in North American located Oakmonts or unique to Australia. Remember we drive on left so main door is centre line not curb side anymore.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards, L

danemayer

Hi.

In Australia: Just bought a 2008 build Landmark Oakmont.

There is an Aisle Switch in the switch cupboard. HOWEVER... there is also a 12V switch just inside the door on the bottom left about 6” above the floor on the wall that separates the Kitchen from the Living Room. Haven’t a clue what it does’or what it’s attached to. it has 12V. There is also a twin cable there as well with wires taped. Anybody have an idea what the switch is for? There is no step light outside unlike the smaller left hand side door. And the main steps are at the wheel arches & need to be lifted off to move vehicle—have no idea if this is standard in North American located Oakmonts or unique to Australia. Remember we drive on left so main door is centre line not curb side anymore.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards, L
I just found a picture of a 2009 Landmark Oakmont showing the entry door on what we'd call the street side in the U.S., which sounds like it would be the curb side in Australia.
watermark_large.php

I haven't previously heard of main steps needing to be lifted off before towing. Perhaps that's part of the changes for driving on the left side.

The switch a few inches off the floor is usually for the light that's under the entry steps. With your removable steps, perhaps the modified design deleted the entry light but not the switch.

jbeletti

The Landmark Oakmont floor plan was built for the US market with 2 doors (1 on either side) standard. Any lift-off step was changed be a dealer or previous owner.

The low mounted switch is likely the step-light that is now missing. Look for a round hole behind the exterior staircase. See if there are a couple screw holes around that hole. If so, that's where the wire came through and the light was mounted. Open up the underbelly in that area and look for a 2-wire zip-cord that's not hooked up to anything. You might get lucky and find it :)

Did you import the Landmark, buy from an AUS dealer or buy from a private party in AUS? Just curious.

Hi. Thanks for the info. The photo started me thinking & I went looking for a photo for the other side. The photo sent by u shows a Oakmont virtual idientical to ours.
This is a photo of a North American Oakmont, curb side. The next is ours!

Having difficulty uploading a photo theyre appearing as thumbnails!

Anyway it’s obvious the Aussie Oakmont has had the Aussie made axles Mover back & the chassis is higher off the ground. This is why fold out steps have been removed -there’s no room the wheels are there. Hence light has been removed. I’ll install my own light & thanks for all the help.

Resaon acl s moved back is that from the imaginary gap between the wheels to the edge of back bumber can b no more than 3.7m. All trailers are like this in Australia.

Regards, L

I just found a picture of a 2009 Landmark Oakmont showing the entry door on what we'd call the street side in the U.S., which sounds like it would be the curb side in Australia.
watermark_large.php

I haven't previously heard of main steps needing to be lifted off before towing. Perhaps that's part of the changes for driving on the left side.

The switch a few inches off the floor is usually for the light that's under the entry steps. With your removable steps, perhaps the modified design deleted the entry light but not the switch.

Attachments

• 4E20B0C7-BD5A-492F-BFA6-AC4BC76FE089.jpeg
    4E20B0C7-BD5A-492F-BFA6-AC4BC76FE089.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 15592D6F-0D1A-4551-BBE3-E3612AC3E2B4.jpg
    15592D6F-0D1A-4551-BBE3-E3612AC3E2B4.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 13
The Landmark Oakmont floor plan was built for the US market with 2 doors (1 on either side) standard. Any lift-off step was changed be a dealer or previous owner.

The low mounted switch is likely the step-light that is now missing. Look for a round hole behind the exterior staircase. See if there are a couple screw holes around that hole. If so, that's where the wire came through and the light was mounted. Open up the underbelly in that area and look for a 2-wire zip-cord that's not hooked up to anything. You might get lucky and find it :)

Did you import the Landmark, buy from an AUS dealer or buy from a private party in AUS? Just curious.
Hi Jim. The Oakmont was imported by a bloke near Newcastle, NSW. He converted it to comply with all Australian Design Regulations (ADR). Australia makes no allowances for Fifth Wheels. Under 4500Kg they are covered by caravan rules & over 4500Kg by Semi-Trailer regulations.
So all vehicles, except very specific exceptions like articulated buses & glider trailers, must not have a rear overhang exceeding 3.7m. Gas lines must be copper or steel. Mains power must b 240v Single Phase with Aussie wiring & fittings. All appliances must b Australian certified—fridge, stove, hood, heaters, A/C’s etc& b 240V. The chassis SHOULD b upgraded to take Australian axles (over 4500Kg it’s a must), springs airbrakes etc, and a door fitted on the Australian curb side if not already there. In the case of these Oakmonts it’s already done.
With respect to Australian axles & springs—are roads away from population centres are appalling & bog standard US trailers just can’t hack it. Hence the upgraded Aussie gear. A new Oakmont, meeting all Australian requirements costs $250,000., then tow vehicle on top of that. So any Nth American vehicle under 30 yrs old MUST b converted to RHD & look like it came from the factory like that. Min cost $50,000 to convert. New Ford Crew Cabs, top of the line, cost $250,000. AND u can’t just come over, buy a truck & take it back to do the conversions. Permission to import has to b granted & the Feds track the vehicle from the moment it arrives so the conversion is totally overseen to meet regulations. There are government approved small quantity vehicle importers who do the whole thing.
So r Oakmont was imported, converted to meet Aussie rules & sold to the family we bought it from. They had it 8 years, the bloke died 4 years ago & his widow didn’t know what to do with it. They had lived in it about 4 years till he died. It’s only travelled less than 2000kms in Oz. I’ve had it checked my heavy duty mechanics who say it’s mechanically perfect. I spent $2000 on Eternabond & an Australian ceramic based Solar paint to repair & protect the main roof & slide roofs & new tyres capable of carrying 8 Tons.
Heartland RV’s have also been imported & converted by Spectrum RV on Queensland’s Gold Coast
Hope this gives u some background to what us Aussies go thru to have a 5er.
Regards, Lindsay