Corner trim cracked - missing screws underneath

Lewmarbell

Lewis Bell
We recently noticed that the plastic trim covering the screws on the front cap of our 2016 Newport was cracking, so I removed a 3 ft section to measure it to buy replacements. Once removed, we saw that many of the screw holes in the corner trim were just blank. Should every hole have a screw? If so, shouldn't Heartland send me a box of these since we couldn't see that they were missing until the plastic channel trim deteriorated? When we called Heartland, the agent said, "Just remove one and then go to the hardware store to see if they have some that match." Really? I think if I were Heartland, I'd say, "So sorry about that. That isn't up to our quality standards, so we'll express ship a box of trim screws to you and we apologize for the inconvenience." Based on all of the other things that were obviously hastily (and incorrectly) assembled in our unit, I think they'd be glad to hear about one that's easily fixed!

Am I wrong?

Missing Screws1.jpg

MTPockets

You’re technically correct, but I would take their advice as it would be faster and easier overall. I’ve done that without making the call to Heartland; less stress, better repair and faster.

mlpeloquin

Lewmarbell

Lewis Bell
Thanks, mlpeloquin! I'll order some today. I guess my follow-up question is, should I put a screw in every blank spot or did they leave some blank for a reason? These didn't just fall out --no hole, so they were never installed. Was it poor workmanship (this is only one of MANY issues we've had with Heartland's QA) or an engineered thing? My assumption is that a screw needs to be in each one, but I really don't know for sure.

GregP

We have found that a number of similar screws had loosened over time and travel since buying our unit in 2014. I have snugged these up when needed, but found that some of the screw heads had actually snapped off at the head, leaving the appearance of no screw. Don't know the cause, probably over torqued at manufacture. Don't really care. installed new screw adjacent and covered screw head from missing screw with colour matched Gorilla tape for water seal. For me, it is just part of the regular maintenance checking to check for loose/missing screws.

mlpeloquin

Thanks, mlpeloquin! I'll order some today. I guess my follow-up question is, should I put a screw in every blank spot or did they leave some blank for a reason? These didn't just fall out --no hole, so they were never installed. Was it poor workmanship (this is only one of MANY issues we've had with Heartland's QA) or an engineered thing? My assumption is that a screw needs to be in each one, but I really don't know for sure.

I would put one in each hole that is missing one. As you set the weight of the fifth wheel on your hitch, it is a prudent thing to occasionally watch for movement of the rounded edge on the over head side that transition from horizontal to vertical pulling away. Set the fifth wheel down and the trim goes back in place and you would not notice. This would be signs of the heads of fasteners that hold the frames together have broken off. Don't ask me why I know. It doesn't happen to many, but it does happen.