Goose neck vs 5th wheel hitch, opinions/experience?

svd

I have been looking at 5th wheel double tilt hitches, and like the 16k Valley. The goose neck hitch looks nicer as it frees up the pickup bed when you rotate the hitch ball out of the way and cover the 4 inch diameter opening in your truck bed. The setup looks several hundred dollars more because it requires the goose neck adapter for the trailer hitch. Anyone have experience, opinions, pros or cons? thanks. I will be towing a 3400rl.:confused:

Tom of Ypsi

svd, If you check with most RV manufacturers I believe they will not endorse the use of the gooseneck hitch. I believe there reasoning is too much stress on the hitch area. There is a hitch that is underbed mounted, I think Valley Industries has one. All you do is pull the pins and leave your hitch on your 5th leaving the bed of the truck wide open and flush all around.

svd

Thanks Tom. I found some strong opinion on another site that said the same thing you did. I found another setup, I think it was called the C&W companion hitch, which has what looks like a conventional 5th wheel hitch that sits on top of the gooseneck ball in your truck bed, eliminating the need for any adapter on the trailer pin. I really don't have a need for a gooseneck, just thought it would be nice to have a clear truck bed. I am going with the Valley conventional removable hitch in the bed. Thanks, Steve

BluegrassMan

Hitches etc.

Hey Guy's

I'm using a Reese 20K, If I need my truck bed to haul somethng; I just pull the 4 clips and pull the pins. Then I raise the trailer up a few inches, drop the tailgate and pull out, leaving the hitch hanging on the king pin, leaving just 2 rails on the bed floor. It doesn't weigh much to leave hanging.

When docking back up to the top part of the hitch, you have to be right on the money. There are 4 EYES or TABS that need to go back in the 4 slots for your pins. This sure beats LIFTING the hitch out.;)

Tom of Ypsi

SVD and Denny, that is exacly what I have and works like a charm. I should have mentioned that in my post original reply post.