Magnetic cargo doors on Bighorn 39MB

-BLD-

I love the magnetic doors BUT since I am only 5 ft tall, I cannot reach high enough on the door edges to get the right angle to release and close the doors. HELP me so I don't always have to ask a non-vertically challenged person to close them for me!! What modification can be done?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary521

Perhaps you could add a small rope to one of the latches so you could grab it when the door is in the up position.

bwdt

Confused?
I have the same model and am quite short as well, I just pull it down from the side, no issues.

-BLD-

Thanks all for your input but these suggestions are not going to work for me. Don't want to drill into the door and put struts in because the magnets are great in keeping the door open and I love them. The Hatchlife site for the straps are attached to the old-fashioned door locks that turn with a key on the outside and there is a silver latch that turns to lock/unlock the doors on the inside. If I had that kind of door lock, then a rope or the Hatchlife strap would work but my door latches are flat on the outside and inside so there is nothing to attach a rope/strap. Guess I will have to find that taller person who can reach higher than me to get the leverage in putting enough force to disengage the magnets.

-BLD-

My wife, who happens to tower over you by an inch and a half, just grabs the side and gives it a good pull. :cool:

Thanks, maybe I am a weakling. Guess I will try giving it more force (using two hands at the same time on the same side of the door) and higher up on the door but don't want the cargo door to bop my head. I'll stand to the side!!

NYSUPstater

Another thought just came to mind. How about a childs garden hoe wrapped w/ electric/duck tape so you could place it behind the top and pull?:confused:

-BLD-

Another thought just came to mind. How about a childs garden hoe wrapped w/ electric/duck tape so you could place it behind the top and pull?:confused:
Oh I see, use a strong tool to be able to break the strength of the opposing magnets. But I don't want to scratch the RV's exterior so would have to be thin enough to get under the edge of the cargo door and wrapped. Now that's a better suggestion then having to drill holes on the inside of the cargo door to put in a handle or struts!!
THANKS!
:)

- - - Updated - - -

Use a 2' step stool.
Now that is an easy peasy suggestion. I do have one of those one-step stools for the bottom of entrance steps. I could just keep that under the RV near the cargo bay.
I only have one cargo bay door that is quite large and heavy and difficult for me to close but adding that 8" of a stool would do it!!! Don't have to buy anything and don't have to drill. And it keeps intact the whole idea of the strong magnets keeping the heavy door up against the wall of the RV. WOW so simple a solution.

CoveredWagon

Attach a rope on the inside of the door. It will work like the pull down ladder in the ceiling in my garage.