Single wheel or dually?

kbausano

Outside of towing capability differences, are there other reasons to choose one over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Ken,

If you have not towed a heavy fifth wheel or any heavy trailer before without a dually then you would be in for a shock if you did. I have owned and towed with both and would never go back to a SRW now after having towed with a DRW truck. The dually's have better stopping ability with 50% more tires on the ground, better stability while towing with a wider wheel base, less swaying and being shoved around in high winds or passing other trucks, and as you mentioned, better towing capabilities as far as weight in the bed.

Chippendale

The single rear wheel will be easier to park and sometimes maneuver in traffic. I personally have a F350 dully and have gotten use to it and feel safer with it when towing.

Eric1234

i have had SRW trucks and now a DRW. The SRW truck I had was at the weight limit and it’s not a comfortable feeling to be right on the edge.

have a good day

Eric

Noofear

Dually all the way, stabilty and safety. If you get a rear blowout with a dually, you'll be better equiped to pull over to safety.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
A SRW is slightly cheaper to operate. To some they are easier to park as well. When it comes to towing though the DRW is hands down a better option. A person can lay down a bunch of reasons to get a SRW when they should have gotten a DRW, but stability which leads to safety is the only reason one needs to get a DRW. A friend of mine was a test driver for GM. I asked him not to long ago, "if the towing capabilities of the SRW pickups is so high these days, why build a DRW before the 1.5 tons and above?" He smiled and responded, "Exactly".

brianlajoie

If a new house came with my F350, I would have opted for a DRW. I live in a neighboorhood which requires all vehicles to be store in the garage. Since I didn't get a new house, I park my SRW in my garage. I solved the stability issue with 19.5" load range H tires on the truck. Very little sway or softness in the tires. The tires help the truck stand tall. For improved stopping ability, I installed disc brakes on the trailer. I can stop quicker than any rig that does not have disc brakes on their trailer. With that said, I would not go bigger than a 35 foot fiver without upgrading to a DRW. From all the research that I have done, a 35 foot fiver seems to be about the line between a SRW and a DRW.

Oldelevatorman

The line between an SRW and a DRW is if you have enough payload to handle a minimum of 20% of the trailers GVWR in payload on the truck. There are several shorter fifth wheels that are heavy, that an SRW wouldn’t be able to tow safely. Check your numbers carefully and safe travels!
Before we became full timers, we had already bought our dually but I couldn’t park anywhere in our gated community. We had 2 single car garages and there was no street parking allowed. I had to park outside the gate at the nearby Sam’s Club so I feel your pain brianlajoie!

donr827

I have always had a SRW. I knew that having a SRW would limit which trailers I could have. I did put airbags on the rear wheels. I did not want a super big trailer to haul around. The BH 3055 was perfect for us.
Don

Tree14

It depends or your trailer. We have 4200 Cyclone and we pull with F450 dually. Do not feel trailer and stopping power 10/10

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Abear79

It is all up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I pull my 5th wheel from south Louisiana to Boston and back through the Appalachian Mountains with a SRW. But I will not talk you out of a DRW. A DRW will be a much better ride and tow. If the price difference is not a factor and you want a larger coach the DRW is the way to go. I have towed my whole adult life and I feel comfortable with the SRW. If my truck got totaled tomorrow I would replace it with a DRW. That being said, if is all up to you and your ability. I got 410s in my SRW. I got 9.3 mpg on my Boston trip. My father-in-law has a newer DRW that gets better than that. I think he is around 15-16 mpg towing.

HOOKERUP

Ihave a2016 DRW with the 430 rear pulling a Landmark 365,I couldn't get those kind of MPG going down hill.My average is 9.7 to 10.2.

NYSUPstater

We went from a SRW to a DRW solely based on overall weight of new RV (BC 3560SS). Was already over on all capacities of the SRW and did not like the idea of going to FL in Aug being over on things ESPECIALLY the tires on truck. Would they have been okay? Crap shoot, but can honestly say, I and even the wife said she felt more comfy towing the RV w/ the DRW than the SRW (and I drive a semi for a living).

HOWEVER, I'm not a fan of the DRW in the snow thus far. This is a work in progress.

Dave_Jari

I have, and prefer, a DRW that I tow a RW427 with. In addition, a large gooseneck and tractor frequently for my work. Before DRW towed gooseneck with SRW, and it's a very significant difference. DRW being much superior particularly in stability. In my area of central MO, you can compare apples to apples packages from 3/4 or 1 ton SRW to 1 ton DRW and actually get into the DRW for less money. I'm assuming it is lack of demand for DRW because of parking them and such. Dealer has on lot as we speak a 2018 Laramie 3500 DRW for $58445 and comparable SRW is near $69000.

david-steph2018

That seems to be a good deal on the 2018.

Our 2017 Big Horn 3500 we got it for around $52000 then we added an extended warranty package for around $5000.

Our Ram has the 4:10 rear end which gives it higher towing over the other rear ends.

dbbls59

I use to tow with a srw. Read many post stating "if you ever towed with a dually you would never go back to single." I thought they were eaggerating . I bought a drw because it was 2 inches lower but found out it was not an exaggeration. Dually towing is so much more stable. You don't feel crosswinds or swaying when a semi passes you.

carl.swoyer

I use to tow with a srw. Read many post stating "if you ever towed with a dually you would never go back to single." I thought they were eaggerating . I bought a drw because it was 2 inches lower but found out it was not an exaggeration. Dually towing is so much more stable. You don't feel crosswinds or swaying when a semi passes you.
I just updated my tow vehicle to a dually. I haven't towed with it yet but the upgrade feels incredible.
Now I'm towing legally.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
6a4c4be64a79d70371229d93f4daedb5.jpg
fd1107f56f64e6d70ba52100f45de18f.jpg

carl.swoyer

Outside of towing capability differences, are there other reasons to choose one over the other?

I towed my 07 cedar Creek with a srw Silverado HD Crew cab. We went everywhere.
Towing my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel we went everywhere!
But the modifications I did to my truck had no legal effect.
Physically the truck always performed, but I was legally overloaded. It came down to the sticker on the the door from the manufacturer. No matter what chassis/ suspension updates I did, I was overweight.
I have seen the light!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk