Power Awning????

wagenman

I Just took delivery of my Sundance 2998RB last week. It has on it the 18' Dometic AE power awning. On paper this sounds like a real nice option, but I am a little nervous about it. I was not able to put it out all the way at the dealership cause I was parked right next to another trailer. But once I was home I was playing around with everything and was able to see it out for the first time.

Although it does go out and in very nice, I dont like the fact that you can not use awning clamps on it, and there is no way to lean it to one side to let the rain run off where you want it to.... Two very important things if you ask me!!

My question is, those of you that use the power awnings, do you have many problems with them? And if so what are they? Also, is there another way to secure it from flapping in the wind other then clamps?

Please help put my mind at ease here...lol

Thanks in advance..

Wagenman (mike)None

ct0218

It does flap some, but securing it will defeat the self dumping feature as well as the ability for it to retract in windy conditions. That is, if your awning is like mine, and I think it is.

truknutt

Committed Member
wagenman,

There are products out there like the AirWedge (see attached) that will help with the runoff and the flapping. I have seen some use Dollar Store swimming air mattresses to keep the cost down.

The most important issue is to remember that they are up there when it's time to close the slide. :rolleyes:

Edited : Sorry 'bout this...Totally misread original post!! I saw power awning and missed the 18' part! I was thinking slide awnings,,,DOH!

Attachments

• Airwedge.jpg
    Airwedge.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

BobSue

You have noted the negatives to the power awning. I have not found a way around either of them.

On the other hand, I find myself using the awning more than when I had a manual one. It is so easy to just push the button and in or out it goes. No more remembering which levers to push, buttons to engage or feet to move and no more head bangers.

So you pays your money, you takes your choice?

wagenman

I guess that the negatives probably dont out weight the positives. I do like the ease of the power, and more so the wife will finally be able to put the awning in and out with out me being there, and I guess that is a major plus...

CT0218 said it has a self dump feature, and that explains why it was moving up and down during some wind.. I took that as maybe something being wrong with it.. but the more research I do the more I am liking it....

Thank you all for your imput, and help... I just love the fact that there is a place to go to ask experienced rv'ers questions, it makes the Heartland experiance even that much better....