SOLVED: Res. fridge freezer door out of square

Dave_Jari

Has anyone had issues with freezer door becoming misaligned during transport? Doors did not open, transport tab in place, but right side of freezer door will not close to seal, left side closes to seal. Door closed perfectly prior to departure for home. Got home late and left fridge on until next day, freezer very frosted up, upon inspecting found door not closing on right side. Any views on what to look for and fix would be greatly appreciated!

danemayer

Re: Res. fridge freezer door out of square

Hi Dave_Jari,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

What brand of refrigerator is this?

jerryjay11

Double check by measuring the door edges, not the seal, is equal distance from cabinet. It may just be a seal issue. If the measurement is okay then using a heat gun or hair dryer gently warm the seal. The magnets in the seal should be able to pull the seal to the cabinet to the correct position. Be very careful not to overheat the seal to the point of melting. While heating move the door seal close to the cabinet by closing the door just enough, but not shut all the way. You should see the seal start to pull up against the cabinet.

Dave_Jari

Thank you for the input! The fridge is a Hisense, I believe that's how it is spelled. The front right side of the door when "closed" extends out past the upper door of the fridge by a good distance. I don't believe the seals of unit have moved or are out of place. Right side of door not contacting by approx an inch or so. Will not go back with moderate pressure applied. Had a thought that there may be a track system under door that a roller is off of or something like that.
Dave

david-steph2018

Yep been down that road.

We have a 2018 Road Warrior 427 and had the same issue when we did not secure the doors completely. Took me about 5 minutes to look it over then I just decided to move the freezer door by hand. It did take some good amount of pressure but it pop back in place and has been okay since.
I think it came of the tracks in the door bottom. I am thinking what happen on our unit was it flew open while traveling and came open with some force it came out of the tracks. Not sure if the case but it makes sense.

The bottom freezer door upper right corner was opened about 1/2" to 3/4" from the frame of the fridge. I did push down on the left rear corner while I was lifting on the right front corner a couple times to get it to pop back in place.

The little white plastic fastener does not work by itself, I also secure the doors with a Velcro strap. I wrap it several times around the freezer handle and the fridge doors. When the freezer door flew opened it looks like it hit maybe the sink cabinet because there is a dent in the door.

Not saying to do what I did but it worked for me.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

I agree that the issue is probably with a track being jarred out of position. Don't rule out that one of the drawers is crooked and holding one side of the door out too.
We leave a couple pillows on the floor in front of the fridge to cushion the bottom if it does come open during towing.

david-steph2018

pillows work good?

On the Road Warrior facebook page the wife found some device somebody has to keep the doors locked while on the road. I never have seen it, but she has and says she likes it.

Dave_Jari

Yep been down that road.

We have a 2018 Road Warrior 427 and had the same issue when we did not secure the doors completely. Took me about 5 minutes to look it over then I just decided to move the freezer door by hand. It did take some good amount of pressure but it pop back in place and has been okay since.
I think it came of the tracks in the door bottom. I am thinking what happen on our unit was it flew open while traveling and came open with some force it came out of the tracks. Not sure if the case but it makes sense.

The bottom freezer door upper right corner was opened about 1/2" to 3/4" from the frame of the fridge. I did push down on the left rear corner while I was lifting on the right front corner a couple times to get it to pop back in place.

The little white plastic fastener does not work by itself, I also secure the doors with a Velcro strap. I wrap it several times around the freezer handle and the fridge doors. When the freezer door flew opened it looks like it hit maybe the sink cabinet because there is a dent in the door.

Not saying to do what I did but it worked for me.

Thank you for the information and advice, new to RVing and may have jumped in over our heads with this unit, but didn't want to get into cycle of upsizing as has been the case with people I have known. When I get a chance I will see if I can make sure it is on the tracks or glides. Again, thank you all very much!
Dave

Dave_Jari

Hey all,
Took freezer drawer apart and found that cogs (plastic gears) on square rod were out of time with each other. I had a difficult time figuring out how to adjust, as on side was one tooth off from the other thus the right side did not close all the way. With cogs mounted on square rod you could not just adjust the cog, it wouldn't turn on square shaft. My solution, which I'm not recommending to anyone, was to gently use a straight blade screwdriver to pry and slide cog over tooth on rail. IT WORKED!!!! Door closes completely and seal is in contact all the way around.
Thank all of you for your help and suggestions!
Dave