New from Heartland- check this out

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I see the spare tire is mounted under the front.

Also, if you continue scanning down, RV Capital is offering some great prices.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Question for Mrcomer

In viewing your post, I see that you're pulling a Landmark Augusta with a GMC 2500HD. I've just purchased a BH3670, which is similar, but a little lighter in weight. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a GMC 2500HD or the 3500HD (diesels, of course). My question is how well does your 2500HD handle your Augusta?

I've been trying to study the trailering guides and literature, but keep coming away with a headache wondering if I need to go to a big 3500 dually or even a 4500 (no way!) I'd appreciate any insight you can give.

cjbearden

Visitor
JohnDar

We initially towed our new Augusta with a 2004 GMC2500HD with air bags. It got us from CO to AR, barely. Frame on truck had started cracking/separating near axles. We quickly traded to the Dodge Laramie 3500HD. Hope this helps make your decision.

jpmorgan37

JohnDar;

Like cjwigley, I started pulling my Landmark with a 2500HD D/A. It had all the pulling power that I wanted, but wasn't enough truck to make me feel comfortable when running the mountains. I never met anyone who said that they wished they had a smaller tow vehicle. Just my opinion.

John

Northern Virginia
In viewing your post, I see that you're pulling a Landmark Augusta with a GMC 2500HD. I've just purchased a BH3670, which is similar, but a little lighter in weight. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a GMC 2500HD or the 3500HD (diesels, of course). My question is how well does your 2500HD handle your Augusta?

I've been trying to study the trailering guides and literature, but keep coming away with a headache wondering if I need to go to a big 3500 dually or even a 4500 (no way!) I'd appreciate any insight you can give.

I have an 08 GMC 2500HD crew cab and pull an Augusta. I love the truck. I installed airbags and have the factory brake control.

I travel with my wife and three kids. The truck is rock solid pulling and stopping the Augusta.

The Duramax will pull it up a wall.

jbeletti

Keen eye Mark! Yes, the Eagle Ridge is a new product. I'd describe it as a full-profile Sundance with BC/BH floor plans. Nice product at a nice price point.

Next week, I will post more pics of it in the Eagle Ridge sub-forum that I am putting together.

Jim

JohnDar

Thanks for the info, guys. Since our plans are to leave it on a seasonal site in Northern Michigan (200 miles) over the summers, a 2500HD would probably be adequate to get it back and forth. Might even store it up there. But, if the urge strikes to head out on the road with it, I don't want to be under "trucked." Curious, is there anyplace to rent a hauler for a week or two?

snuffy

I'm eager to hear more about the Eagle Ridge 5'ers, especially if they're lighter than the Big Horns.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, as usual JP speaks words of wisdom and I concur with Newbie in regards to the Duramax...................

Where does the new model fall as far grade, above or below the previous releases?

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
johndar,
My 2500HD does very well however if it weren't an everyday vehicle I would really like to have a 3500HD dually. In today's economy I bet there are some very good deals out there for 1 ton vehicles. I see others have already weighed in and hope that all of this helps you.

Good luck,
Mark

JohnDar

Thanks for the info, Mark. I've got time to look and decide (got to wait for a military reserve pension to start in Jan 09), and I might even go for a used truck, if the right one comes along.

Pulltab

I shutter at some of the recommendations I see on this forum :) You supposedly just read 2 previous responses, Frame cracking and not comfortable with pulling in mountains. Use this as a guide would be my suggestion.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, here is the result of the Popular Mechanics in DEC '07

Full disclosure: We asked GMC for a truck with dual rear wheels to match the others. But neither GMC nor Chevy could supply one. Duallys are heavier by about 250 pounds and typically carry a stiffer suspension. That said, GMC’s 365-hp Duramax diesel was so strong, and the fuel economy so much better, that even with the handicap of “training wheels” the results would likely have been much the same. The leather-lined $50,834 GMC, the least expensive of the group, was clearly the hot rod. It stormed to 60 mph almost 2 seconds quicker than the Dodge and almost 4 seconds quicker than the Ford. One tester proclaimed it could smoke the rear tires even with the trailer’s 1100-pound tongue weight pressing down on the rear suspension. That, friends, is a seriously strong motor. Yet the GMC was equipped with highway-oriented 3.73:1 axle gears so it returned 18.26 mpg on our test loop—a solid 5 mpg more than the Dodge and 7 mpg more than the Ford. Better still, when hitched to our trailer and excavator, the GMC returned almost 2 mpg better than the Dodge and 3 mpg better than the Ford. Over the working life of a truck, this matters. But winning performance tests doesn’t automatically get you the gold medal.

Away from our test equipment, the GMC was the smoothest and most carlike. It was the only 4x4 here with an independent front suspension, which helped the handling, too. You get a choice of two completely different dashboards—one traditionally trucky and the other more luxurious. Ours was the latter, and testers liked the layout. It’s also worth noting that the Sierra had the best air-conditioning system—by far. After long days on the road, we were less fatigued behind the wheel of this truck. In short, the GMC had the speed, efficiency, comfort and function we look for in a big pickup—and that makes it our winner.
Here is a link to the article.........
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4230317.html?page=4

Here is a link to the 2009 comparisons............
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4230317.html?page=4

JGarver

Eagle Ridge

Hey Mark, I thought your name looked familiar so I went back and checked my e-mail files and seen you've worked with us a few times. I just wanted to say thanks for checking out our blog. This is a new and exciting thing for us and I am glad to see it is getting out to people. I am not going to say anything else because we are not allowed to try to solicit or advertise, but I wanted to reply to let you know that we appreciate it. I will also be linking back some stuff to Heartland Owner's Forum that I am finding on here. It is quite obvious why Heartland is growing so fast with the way that they create long-term relationships and interaction with customers.

lilriver

2500 vs 3500

:confused: I have a question regarding newbie's post about the size of truck to pull heartland. We are newbie's as well and are having a hard time trying to get a straight answer about how much a Chevy 3500HD duramax long bed single axle will pull and what if any add on's we might need. We are looking at buying a Landmark Oatmont, but are being told the truck is not big enough. Any suggestions would be greatly apprepricated.

SmokeyBare

Here is a link that may answer your questions...

http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Camping-Towing/TowVehicles.htm?gclid=CKvaprnx1pYCFQsQagodQSlj1g

You don't mention if its a Regular cab... or Extended... or the Model Year... if its 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive...

their figures - 3500 REG CAB 4WD 6.6L TD V-8 15,300 - Note: G = 3.73:1 Axle Ratio

I did not see the figures for a regular cab 2 WD Diesel. Hope this helps... but to be clear, your answers are going to be found from General motors specfications... to be accurate numbers. GM posts the Max Trailer Weight Rating for a 3500HD is 16,500.

Here is GM's Link: http://www.chevrolet.com

JohnDar

The Chevy website does not give enough specific information. Try the GMC site: http://www.gmc.com/sierra/2500HD/specsCapabilities.jsp
You can look up the specs for different configurations of the 2500 and 3500HD models (the link says 2500HD cuz that's the last one I looked at). The 16,500 trailer rating for the 3500HD is with DRW, regular cab and the Duramax. The rating drops off for the larger cabs.

After much digging and reading of posts on this forum, I'm going with the GMC 3500HD dually Duramax, Ext. Cab, to pull our new BH3670. I'll be ordering it next month (the BH is being stored at the dealer until spring).

irvin56

E-mail gmc usa or canada

I don't know which country it was built in, but you will know and that's the one you contact. mine was in canada

Give your vin and they will give you to EXACT combined gvwr and your good to go from there'

I e-mailed mine and in 2 days i had my info back.
Dealers I talked to had they head in the sand and were not getting the info for me

navyAZ1

I have an 08 GMC 2500HD crew cab and pull an Augusta. I love the truck. I installed airbags and have the factory brake control.

I travel with my wife and three kids. The truck is rock solid pulling and stopping the Augusta.

The Duramax will pull it up a wall.

We aren't pulling a Augusta but rather a BH 3055RL, however I can comment on the pulling power of the Duramax. In September we were driving through Astoria, OR made a wrong turn and all of a sudden we were going straight up a hill worse than any in San Francisco. Got almost to the top and the back wheels spun once but went right on. The Duramax/Allison combo worked very well for our entire 9000 mile trip.:D