Refrigerator odor

AnthonyA

Has anyone experience an odor that would not go away? We have emptied out or Insignia residential fridge and still can not track down nor get rid of the smell.
Any ideas ?
df4be7109e8542b9a7c987e136673fa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Have you checked around it for dead rodents? What does it smell like? Is it only noticeable when you open a door?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnthonyA

Have you checked around it for dead rodents? What does it smell like? Is it only noticeable when you open a door?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is only noticeable when opening the door. Smells like rotten potatoes or vegetables.
I checked underneath the fridge after removing the kick panel. It looked clear. Not sure what the deal is. I may have to completely disassemble the interior and clean it. Maybe that will work better than a standard wipedown.

2018 Landmark Phoenix
2015 Ram 3500 Mega Cab

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe something left a residue inside, like a leaky milk carton or old produce. A thorough cleaning with a bleach solution or disinfecting wipes, followed by a clean water wipe down might take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

I've always done just a spring cleaning w/ warm water and baking soda and that's it for the whole year. When not in use, we leave the doors open. However, OP said that a box of baking soda didn't touch the odor so the wiping w/ the solution I mentioned may not work. Like others have said, check under, behind the fridge for anything that may have either got kicked under it or died behind it. Plus would agree too to perhaps use something stronger to clean inside (bleach), then wipe down w/ baking soda.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

carl.swoyer

Has anyone experience an odor that would not go away? We have emptied out or Insignia residential fridge and still can not track down nor get rid of the smell.
Any ideas ?
df4be7109e8542b9a7c987e136673fa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Anthony
Has The smell gone away?
I was wondering if you have any drain lines in the interior of the fridge that might lead to a evaporation tray?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AnthonyA

Anthony
Has The smell gone away?
I was wondering if you have any drain lines in the interior of the fridge that might lead to a evaporation tray?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Carl,

I emptied the fridge and gave it a good wipe down. At first it didnt seem to help but these last couple of days it seems that the smell is finally dissipating.
My guess is that whatever had caused the smell had soaked into the vent system and took a while to wear out. Cleaning the "odor residue" helped speed up the process.
My particular fridge does not have any evap trays or drain lines that I can see.

2018 Landmark Phoenix
2015 Ram 3500 Mega Cab