Reolink GO security camera...looking for reviews

SteamboatSailor

Does anyone have experience with the Reolink Go (uses cellular instead of wi-fi) security camera? See it here...https://m.reolink.com/product/reolink-go/.. Sure looks like a great way for monitoring the “happenings” around the coach while boondocking or while in storage. I purchased two of the cameras, & they certain appear to be of high quality construction; but I’m having trouble keeping them “online” & synced with the phone ap. Reolink has tech support available via email & they have responded in a timely fashion. However, they are located somewhere in China (time lag) & the diagnoses/suggested fix has been less than impressive. I’m wondering if it’s just me, my location (cell service), or if the system is just not ready for “prime time”.

Any suggestions of other systems that others are using & happy with would be appreciated. It needs to be non- wifi/Ethernet, totally self-contained both with access via phone & the power supply. Reolink offers a small inexpensive solar panel for power as well as a long-life (whatever that means) battery.

lynndiwagoner

All of these wifi cameras are hosted on a server in China. You cannot directly access a camera from a cellphone without going directly to an assigned IP address on your local router. So, more than likely, the host systems in China are probably slow or defective. When you view your china made wifi camera your actually going all the way to china and back to your cellphone. If the servers go down in china your out of luck. I've had pretty good luck with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G81Y7C5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one foscam camera I use in the RV that is directly accessible via an assigned IP address but I have a static IP on my hotspot that can be configured for this purpose. It's complicated. The china cameras are cheaper and for the most part work OK.

I see that the camera you are referencing has a SIM card in it, so no wifi. Doesn't make any difference, still hosted in China. I wonder what provider they use for cell service.

Last edited:

SteamboatSailor

The service provider (in my case) is AT&T. There are several options to chose from, e.g. AT&T, T-mobile, not sure about Verizon. I had to take the cameras to an AT&T store to get the correct simm cards installed & to have them added to my plan. Service definitely goes through AT&T as I can see on the online dashboard for my AT&T account that the cameras use a minute amount of data.....when they are working properly. When working properly they have a beautiful picture; even at night they have a color picture instead of b&w & have “vision” up to 33ft. This is a newer company; great concept, but it appears the product is not quite ready for “prime time”. Alas, I’m shipping them back today.

lynndiwagoner

It might be just as cheap to go with a wifi camera and put a hotspot on your plan, that way you could connect multiple cameras to the single hotspot for one price. Lot's more wifi cameras to choose from. The little one I referenced is inexpensive and would be good for experimenting. Good luck.

LBR

I'm thinking this is the one we will go with our Verizon plan...

EDIT....a Q&A screenshot of different carriers to Arlo model numbers added...verify prior to ordering.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-go/default.aspx
02d59d3f7f489790321c747c18d5afd4.jpg

SteamboatSailor

It might be just as cheap to go with a wifi camera and put a hotspot on your plan, that way you could connect multiple cameras to the single hotspot for one price. Lot's more wifi cameras to choose from. The little one I referenced is inexpensive and would be good for experimenting. Good luck.

Hmmm. Good thought. Now to figure out a continuous power supply while the coach is in storage (Or maybe a hotspot with it’s own battery?) Normally I take the RV batteries home to keep them warm & on a trickle charge. It’s never simple, is it?

lynndiwagoner

The camera I referenced supposedly lasts for 6 months and I'm testing it right now. Sure seems to be hanging in there. I have an AT&T hotspot that is battery powered but I'm not sure how long it would stay on before charging. Bought it off of ebay for cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-AT-T...pid=1723774263&hash=item5913e021cd:rk:15:pf:0 You could buy one of those battery pack things with a high capacity to keep it charged. Lot's of things to think about. Maybe a small 12v lawn mower battery with a 12v plug. Should last quite a while.

Todster

Haven’t purchased or used one yet but Arlo makes a Cellular camera also. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nes002

We use the Arlo Go Mobile HD camera while our 5r is in storage. Good picture with audio. We check in every few days just to be certain nothing is out of place. Only draw back for us is the need to replace the battery every 2 to 3 weeks but we use the time to keep on top of maintenance items so it works out okay.

Now that we’ve had the Arlo in the 5rv for a few months I need to amend my previous statement about battery life. We’re getting around 3 months before the battery needs to be charged. Also the only negative is that recorded images seem to start a few seconds after the camera detects movement.

Last edited: