ATF: Road Warrior - Fuel gauge not working

txtinman

ATF: Road Warrior - Fuel gauge not working [SOLVED]

The fuel gauge inside my RW426 does not work. My generator tank is full and the fuel station tank is empty. The gauge does not register any fuel regardless of which tank is selected. What is the best way for me to troubleshoot this problem?

The Heartland folks sent me a replacement switch and gauge to try. The switch they sent was the wrong one. The one they sent was a 2 pole on/off switch. The one in my rig is a 6 pole rocker switch. I connected the new gauge and it worked. It was backwards though. I had to flip the wires on the switch and now when I select generator it correctly shows the generator tank level. I'm happy I didn't have to drop the tank(s) to check the sending unit(s) and I have a spare on/off switch.

Last edited:

david-steph2018

The fuel gauge inside my RW426 does not work. My generator tank is full and the fuel station tank is empty. The gauge does not register any fuel regardless of which tank is selected. What is the best way for me to troubleshoot this problem?

Our 427 had the same issue. It was a loose wire on the gauge from the switch next to it, the easiest is checking the fuse and gauge first, easiest to get to for checking.

txtinman

Haven't found any bad fuses and the wire connections are good also.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

txtinman

Are the wire connected the correct way on the switch and gauge?
How about on the sending units on top of the tanks?
There is one wire from the switch to the gauge, so I guess it's correct. The wires from the tank to the gauge seem to be secure but I don't have a wiring diagram to verify they are correctly attached. It's been very wet here so I haven't gotten under the trailer to check the tank wiring. Again, without a WD I don't know how to tell if they are hooked up correctly. When it dries out some I'll check to see if they are hooked up.

txtinman

The heartland rep replied that the gauge inside the unit was only for the fuel station and that the generator had its own gauge. I don't think he knows what he's talking about.

david-steph2018

And this surprises you how????
My switch is a 2 position up for one tank down for the other tank. My gen tank is working okay the fuel tank is working so so. Last year the dealer checked it and said the sending unit was not hooked up, well I may have to drop the tank again to see if they did hook it up because of the way it functions.

So I wonder if the switch is bad on your unit.

txtinman

I'm not really surprised. I recently asked them about a light in my bedroom slide that had no switch. They told me that light was not meant to work despite the fact it was wired, had LEDs in it and two identical lights in the unit had switches. I asked them to send me a switch and I would install it. I got no response after that.

I asked them to send me a wiring diagram for the fuel gauge, but was told he didn't have access to any because the engineers were out of the office for the holidays. I think he is in sales.

txtinman

Heartland is sending me a new switch and gauge. If that doesn't work I'll have to check the sending unit.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Heartland is sending me a new switch and gauge. If that doesn't work I'll have to check the sending unit.

Hope it works for you. If you need to check the sending unit, I am betting the tanks need dropped. If you drop them let me know how difficult it was to drop.

txtinman

The Heartland rep said the tanks had to be dropped to check the sending units. They sent me the switch and gauge hoping that will fix the issue.