Replacing that darn CH751 shared key

Oregon_Camper

Finally got around to replacing that darn "CH751" lock on our front storage compartment. I have a considerable amount of $$$$ tied up in the stuff up there, so I figured spending $14.50 on a replacement lock was worth it. BTW....the site I purchased the lock from, says this CH751 key/lock is used on ~75% of ALL RV's....Yikes!!!

It's a key that's perfect for RV dealers..... as they only need to carry one key to access 100's of RV's on their lot...great for them...... but not great for owners.

We found our solution on www.shoprvlocks.com. We paid $14.50 for our replacement lock and couldn't be any happier with the install and build quality of the lock.

Installation, including taking out the old lock, will take you about 10-15 mins. I think all dealers should offer this service, or a least tell you about the risk of leaving the CH751 lock on your RV. I'm guessing most people don't know this is even an issue.

Link to Blog

Link to YouTube Video

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Even my 2003 pontoon has that key on the tackle box lock. Replaced all of my locks years ago with tubular ones.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
My locking diesel/DEF filler door even uses the CH751 key. I purchased the same barrel lock from Grainger at about the same price.

jnbhobe

They have used 751 locks for 40 yrs. I have never changed mine until 10yrs ago when I put on the Mor-Ryde doors and they are keyed alike. Locks only keep honest people honest !!!

Gary521

By going to RVlocksandmore, you can get the cam locks keyed to the same key as your front door. You can also get slam locks keyed to your front door. In case you have not noticed, all slam locks are keyed the same as everyone else.

LBR

In case you have not noticed, all slam locks are keyed the same as everyone else.

The infamous R001 and CH751 keyed locks are prime pickings for the night crews perusing our neighborhoods. IMO, anyone who stores their RV at the local "secured" storage area should check their key numbers and take appropriate action.

I replaced our 2 door and 2 pass-thru compartments with RVLocks. The CY gas pump door is no biggie as the pump must be turned on inside to pump gas. Last compartment for my concern will be the front generator / "mechanical room" lock....once I stuff our 3K inverter in there, I may change that lock also.

jstarwal

As a retired locksmith you can go to any Lock Shop and by The Lox for about five or six bucks. If you want to drive your trailer there they were replacing for you of course. There will be the charge to do that you can also ask them come out to your location and they will do it for you but then you'll pay a service charge. They're not hard to change you can pick him up at Home Depot or Walmart also.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have the same locks as everybody else but I never changed them. We actually began RV camping in the 1990’s and a fellow I knew went to a store the sold replacement locks and bought one for each compartment door at little expense, I think they were about $4.00 each. The very next time he went to the lake somebody broke into his rig to take what ever they wanted. The bad thing is that they destroyed 4 of the doors that he’d installed his new locks. They took tool box, hydraulic jack , chairs and air compressor. I never lock my compartment doors while we’re in a campground because I don’t want the doors torn up, let them take what they want just don’t tear up my rig. That’s my philosophy and y’all can do what y’all want to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunderbolt

I have the same locks as everybody else but I never changed them. We actually began RV camping in the 1990’s and a fellow I knew went to a store the sold replacement locks and bought one for each compartment door at little expense, I think they were about $4.00 each. The very next time he went to the lake somebody broke into his rig to take what ever they wanted. The bad thing is that they destroyed 4 of the doors that he’d installed his new locks. They took tool box, hydraulic jack , chairs and air compressor. I never lock my compartment doors while we’re in a campground because I don’t want the doors torn up, let them take what they want just don’t tear up my rig. That’s my philosophy and y’all can do what y’all want to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Given enough time, any lock can be picked or defeated. I think the idea here is to make it hard enough that the thief or burglar will go somewhere else. Most thieves and burglars what something that they can get into fast and out of there. I spent thirty years in law enforcement, and given enough time, the locks can be picked, bypassed, or destroyed. I am going to change the door keys to the keyless entry as it is easier to remember the code then carry around a set of keys.

Just my two cents.

wdk450

Given enough time, any lock can be picked or defeated. I think the idea here is to make it hard enough that the thief or burglar will go somewhere else. Most thieves and burglars what something that they can get into fast and out of there. I spent thirty years in law enforcement, and given enough time, the locks can be picked, bypassed, or destroyed. I am going to change the door keys to the keyless entry as it is easier to remember the code then carry around a set of keys.

Just my two cents.

I agree. Look at the common weak link that ANY of these compartment locks have - THE LIGHT METAL ARM SCREWED TO THE LOCK TUMBLER THAT CONTACTS THE DOOR FRAME. How easy is it to bend this arm with a screwdriver or light crowbar between the door and frame?