Gvwr q&a

VTA_slug

I have a 2017 cyclone 3600 2 axle toy hauler. My gross weight is 17000#, dry weight is 14860#. 100g (834#) fresh water tank. My 2 axles are rated 7000# each.
17000# - 14860# (dry) = 2140# - 834# (if traveling wet) =1306# - 1698# rzr = 392# over weight..

My question is has anyone increased their toy hauler GVWR? I'm looking to buy a rzr 4 seater (1698# dry) for the family but I'll be pushing the weight limits if I'm traveling wet.. water, gas, propane, adult beverages, etc... is the best option to add a 3rd axle or buy 2 new axles that are rated 8k or higher? I know I'll be gaining more stability and safety by adding a third axle, but if I went with just an upgraded 2 axle set up it's less tires and I'm assuming they won't have to re-center the axle set up opposed to adding 3 axles. I'm pulling this with my 2012 Ram 2500 (I've upgraded to 3500 specs) with the High output tow package.

Any advice will be appreciated
Thank you in advance,
David

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
On our prior Landmark, we had 7000 lb. axles and upgraded them to 8000 lb. axles with disc brakes. This kept me within the ratings of my axles, but it did not, nor will it with you, change the overall GVWR of the fifth wheel.

Rod

esscobra

the 8k axles have much bigger brakes than the 7k, friend who is heavy duty trailer builder showed me difference and I ordered 8k from factory- no even thought of disc brakes wit them- 3-3.5 on brake controller and combo really stops well

danemayer

Apart from the axles/wheels/tires, you don't know what the weakest link is in determining carrying capability. For example, the frame members might be maxxed out at 17,000.

carl.swoyer

I have a 2017 cyclone 3600 2 axle toy hauler. My gross weight is 17000#, dry weight is 14860#. 100g (834#) fresh water tank. My 2 axles are rated 7000# each.
17000# - 14860# (dry) = 2140# - 834# (if traveling wet) =1306# - 1698# rzr = 392# over weight..

My question is has anyone increased their toy hauler GVWR? I'm looking to buy a rzr 4 seater (1698# dry) for the family but I'll be pushing the weight limits if I'm traveling wet.. water, gas, propane, adult beverages, etc... is the best option to add a 3rd axle or buy 2 new axles that are rated 8k or higher? I know I'll be gaining more stability and safety by adding a third axle, but if I went with just an upgraded 2 axle set up it's less tires and I'm assuming they won't have to re-center the axle set up opposed to adding 3 axles. I'm pulling this with my 2012 Ram 2500 (I've upgraded to 3500 specs) with the High output tow package.

Any advice will be appreciated
Thank you in advance,
David
VTA,
I don't believe that you can change the manufacturer ratings for your fifth wheel.
Yes, changing the Axel's and tires to the next higher load ratings will be an option. But very unlikely that these changes will have any legal effect to the manufacturer gvw gcvw ratings on the dot sticker.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

VTA_slug

VTA,
I don't believe that you can change the manufacturer ratings for your fifth wheel.
Yes, changing the Axel's and tires to the next higher load ratings will be an option. But very unlikely that these changes will have any legal effect to the manufacturer gvw gcvw ratings on the dot sticker.

Yes I understand I can't change the manufacturer's ratings. I looking to change my payload so I can carry an extra 500-1000# without having a blow out or axle problems. I was looking for options on adding a third axle or just beefing up the 2 axles. From what I've been reading I think just beefing up the 2 might be the easiest but maybe not.. this is why I'm looking for some insight from someone who had done it.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed this far.
David.

I wish they gave us the option to add 8k higher axles for these 40' trailers..

Dclaws54

David,
I have the same problem with my 3110. Last summer I changed my tires to Goodyear Endurance ST255/85-16. Made in the USA, they are still a max 80psi , load range E tire. But they have a max load of 4080 lbs. On my rig it gives my tire load range a 20% cushion. I believe the tires are the weak link on these rigs. I also do not drive in over 95 degree temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Start by upgrading your tow vehicle. You're already overloaded and wanting to add more. My 2 cents

carl.swoyer

Yes I understand I can't change the manufacturer's ratings. I looking to change my payload so I can carry an extra 500-1000# without having a blow out or axle problems. I was looking for options on adding a third axle or just beefing up the 2 axles. From what I've been reading I think just beefing up the 2 might be the easiest but maybe not.. this is why I'm looking for some insight from someone who had done it.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed this far.
David.

I wish they gave us the option to add 8k higher axles for these 40' trailers..
I did the suspension and chassis upgrades. I ran my 05 Silverado HD Crew cab long bed LLY Duramax Allison until recently.
What I did realize is, for 11 year's I was towing overweight. Its all about the legal aspect . I am no longer illegal.
I chose to do the responsibile thing, I now have a dually.

bwdt

Changing the axles and tires may change your suspension and tires load capacity, but you also need to think about your weight balance. What is the maximum capacity of the garage on your toy hauler? This is what you don't want to go over as it may create major safety issues while towing.

First I do not see how 2 x 7000 lb axles which is 14,000 lbs should be rated at 17,000 lbs. Now if 3,000 lbs is put on your truck as pin weight that would severely over load your 2500 truck's GVW. Every axle on your truck and trailer are already over. You can add leafs or air bags to your truck and it does not change your GVW. The decal on your driver's side pillar is what your truck legal handle and NO mods change that. Tires are also a limitation with this much weight, bad combo!